Windows Defender Definition Updates

Discussion in 'Security' started by starwarsfreak219, Feb 16, 2020.

1. starwarsfreak219

starwarsfreak219

Hello, this is my first post, but I discovered this and just really wanted to share it!

So after a few days of trying to figure out why Windows Defender Definition updates were not installing at all (Like nothing happens at all when trying to install them), I finally figured it out. Looking at the page you would download Definition Updates for Windows Defender, Microsoft made it so that these Definitions are signed as SHA256, instead of being SHA1 and SHA256 (Dual Signed) after October 21st, 2019. Any Windows Defender Definitions you install before this date would install without issue (the last one I could get my hands on was May 9th, 2019, and installed without issue from 1.0.0.0 (Cleaned installed version of Windows Vista)). Finally, before I begin to talk about how we get this working, I entirely suggest having Windows Vista completely updated, as some of the updates we need to install are from Windows Server 2008 SP2 (Should install without any issues, and would be required to get SHA256 updates working). I really hope this helps anyone who is having trouble getting Windows Defender updated on their Windows Vista machine. Let's begin. ☺

The first thing you would want to do is make sure that you have all the updates for Windows Vista installed, this ensures that you have the max compatibility with the updates we install from Windows Server 2008 SP2.

Once that is done, go here to view updates we would need to get this working. Only install updates from Windows Server SP2.

To save you some time, I will list and link the updates you need to install:
    1. KB4489880
    2. KB4493730
    3. KB4474419 (Make sure to install the latest one from here, should be at the top by default)
    4. KB2763674 (Without this update installed, SHA256 signing will not work, as when you try running any version of the Windows Defender Definition updates after October 21st, 2019 as an administrator, nothing happens, not even a popup. After installing this update everything should work flawlessly)
    That's it! Just as a side note, if you get a prompt telling you that the update is not applicable to your system, it usually means it is installed already (May need to be confirmed from this, but it's what I noticed). I really do hope this fixes your issues with Windows Defender Definitions not installing properly. I am not sure when Microsoft will stop making Windows Defender Definition updates, but this is a workaround that works for now. Sorry if this format does seem a bit odd (kind of new to these forums), but I do hope that everything works. I cannot guarantee that I will be able to answer questions right away (Busy with college), but I do hope that everything works fine!

Thanks for reading! ☺

starwarsfreak219, Feb 16, 2020
    1. Advertisements

2. starwarsfreak219

starwarsfreak219

Just thought I'd point this out, you may need to restart your computer after installing a new version of the definition updates for the first time, afterwards, it should be able to install newer versions without a restart. I hope you all enjoy this tutorial for Windows Defender Definition Updates.

starwarsfreak219, Feb 29, 2020
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question