Windows can't check for updates

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by LynnMc, Oct 2, 2007.

1. LynnMc

TeresaR

RE: [SOLVED] Windows can't check for updates

None of this is working for me. I don't have any of the registry keys suggested to remove, including windowsupdate or windowsU* anything. I've run virus scan, no viruses. Has anyone found a fix for this that actually works for people who don't have the registry keys mentioned? I can't even seem to manually find updates for windows to get onto the system. It worked fine till the end of February.

TeresaR, Mar 25, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. LynnMc

chrisman

I've had this problem since December and none of the reg keys suggested previously exist on my system. Microsoft say the 'system update rediness tool' will download if it finds a fault it can fix. Hum but windows update isn't working... They do however say if that doesn't work, run a repair offyour vista disc which will fix <SPAN class=notLocalizable>Windows</SPAN> Update error '80070490' (my error). I don't have a Vista CD so if anyone having this or a similar error does, can you please post to let me know if it works.

chrisman, Apr 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. LynnMc

CroSoft

I cleaned a bunch of viruses off a client's pc and the only problem that remained was the windows updates did not work. Same symtoms as this threads original post. I tried the fixes on the first 2 pages of this thread to no avail. I noticed that when I tried links to Microsoft pages with tips on repairing that the browser was always redirected elsewhere.

That's why the updater would not work. I downloaded combofix from bleepingcomputer.com and followed the directions closely as directed and now, the updates from Microsoft are downloading and installing.

I hope that this helps someone else!

Scott

CroSoft, Apr 22, 2010
  4. LynnMc

John R

I tried downloading all the fancy coded updates manually, Running the regedit (all 50 different ways that are explained on this thread) and doing everything else that I could possible find via google search and none of it worked...

There was one short & sweet question in this thread that made me double check something and that was "Is your date and time set correctly?"

After reading that question I decided to check and would you know that my computer thought it was 2002?... I then changed to date and time to the current date and time (April, 2010) and restarted my computer... BOOYAHHH!!! problem solved... no more icon telling me that windows cant find updates!

PROBLEM: "Window's Cant find updates"

SOLUTION: Make sure the correct date and time is set on your computer.

John R, Apr 24, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question