Windows can't check for updates

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by LynnMc, Oct 2, 2007.

1. LynnMc

EBS1980

RE: [SOLVED] Windows can't check for updates

I've looked in that directore but i don't have any of those 3 to remove, but i still have this problem. Any ideas??

EBS1980, Aug 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. LynnMc

WAW8

It's not a directory; it's a branch in the registry editor. Directories contain files or other directories. Branches contains keys and values.

So, which Branches are you missing?

WAW8, Aug 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. LynnMc

EBS1980

Sorry probably poor choice of wording from me.

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then in COMPONENTS i have more directories, but in just Components i have the following:

(Default), PublisherPolicyChangeTime , StoreArchitecture and StoreFormatVersion

I don't have the 3 which was said earlier in the thread. Am i looking in the right place? If so how do i go about fixing it without these 3?

Thanks

EBS1980, Aug 6, 2008
  4. LynnMc

prockminster

Hi all - i'm hoping this will fix most of your issues as I've had this issue for months now, in fact since around March this year.

I downloaded and installed Vista SP1 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

Then i got the error again, i then went into windows update and clicked check online for updates from Microsoft - hey presto 44 updates waiting and installing as i type!

Hope this works for you all... let me know how it goes.

Phil.

prockminster, Aug 18, 2008
  5. LynnMc

Qoboshiane

Hello guys.... i have a Compaq Presario C700 and I'm experiencing the same problem, I have tried everything from HP support but still Windows can't check for udates. Any suggestions

Qoboshiane, Sep 26, 2008
  6. LynnMc

WAW8

Unfortunately, making Windows Update work reliably is one of the few nasty problems that MS still appears unable to fix in Vista. They've pushed out several KBs claiming to fix it, and as you can attest, it's still broken.

All I can suggest is trying the fixes that worked in this thread, and looking at the pinned post about repairing Windows Update. There's no simple hack that fixes it.

WAW8, Sep 26, 2008
  7. LynnMc

Beebs

I have An ACER that came with VIsta Home Premium. I have not been able to download updates since 10/28. I can follow this path (HMKEY_Local_Machine>Software>Policies>Miscrosoft>Windows>Windows Updater) until Windows Updater. After Windows, the only options are CurrentVersion or DriverSearching.

Any Ideas?

Beebs, Dec 7, 2008
  8. LynnMc

Qubit

Cyclic- Your suggestions worked for me (no Win updates since Aug 28).

Just wanted to say "Thanks!"

Qubit, Dec 8, 2008
  9. LynnMc

jengels

Apparently this is an old problem, but it has happened to me as of 8/08. I would try the original solution, but I don't find "nextqueueentryindex" in components. Provided I figure out if I have it, how would I back up the components key and delete the values? Sorry, not quite as literate as some. If I don;t ever find nextqueueentryindex is there another thing I could try?

jengels, Dec 13, 2008
  10. LynnMc

matt159

Finally Iv got it to work By repairing vista from the vista disk.

Go to here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957310/en-us and its the 3rd method, you could try the other 2 methods but to save you time just go straight in for the 3rd.

note:: You will not lose any files or programs etc by repairing vista

matt159, Dec 22, 2008
  11. LynnMc

STANDLEO

Unfortunately my machine came with Vista preloaded so I don't have a disc. Like others I have tried and tried to sort this problem. I do like Vistabut I think Microsoft should be very embarassed by this stupid fault.

STANDLEO, Jan 11, 2009
  12. LynnMc

vanyar

Here is the solution that worked for me:

Run>regedit>HMKEY Local Machine>Software>Policies>Microsoft>Windows>Windows Updater

I would love for that to work but hmm the windows updater is missing...

As for lynnmc's answer same problem those 3 things are missing please help!!!!

This is what it lists in components: Default), PublisherPolicyChangeTime , StoreArchitecture and StoreFormatVersion..

vanyar, Jan 20, 2009
  13. LynnMc

FITorion

I've tried everything in this thread.

Turned on the services.

Didn't work.

Also can't turn on the "diagnotic service host"

looked in the registry...

PendingXmldentifier

NextQueueEntryIndex

AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving

Don't exist.

Run>regedit>HMKEY Local Machine>Software>Policies>Microsoft>Windows>Windows Updater

Doesn't exist.

I'm already running SP1... So I thought maybe if I install SP2...

I get the same error trying to install SP2 as I do trying to run Win Updater. 0x80070490

I was able to manually install KB947821 System Update Readiness Tool. It did not do anything.

I've even tried doing a repair with my windows disk... It encountered some sort of error and canceled itself... It's like I never ran it.

I'm trying to avoid doing a complete reinstall. I don't want to have to reinstall everything. Some of my programs take up to a day to install and update themselves.

OH yeah it seems Windows defender has been able to update itself. In fact it updated today and yet the windows update icon is constantly at the bottom of my screen with pop ups stating "Windows can't check for updates".

FITorion, May 9, 2009
  14. LynnMc

futurepro62

well i went through everything in this thread and got nothing from it... any other solutions that have been found?

futurepro62, Jun 21, 2009
  15. LynnMc

scotcheggs

hi

seems a lot of you are having issues with this. This problems is caused by a backdoor Trojan virus, most commonly 13,BLAA or similar. depending on the exact version you have, you may also be finding that interenet explorer directs you to strange website when you click on links from a google search for example, or that other anti virus, spyware programs, such as ad aware or windows defenderdo not update either.

You should log onto the microsoft windows live onecare system scanner at:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

ensure you click the full system scan. It will take around 3hrs to complete, but you'd be glad once it done, so it will find the offending trojans and clean them out. You will then find that you updates will work.

I'd strongly recommend that as soon as your updates are working, that you also immediately run a full virus scan again using your normal virus scanner, whatever one that may be, and also a malware / anti spy checker, such as ad aware anniversary edition.

should anyone need further help, dont hestiate to email me at:

scotcheggs_cg@hotmail.com there is an underscore beteen the scothceggs and the cg part of this email

If you do what i say above, you should find everything will be ok....

please let me know how you get on either in email or forum post here

Craig

scotcheggs, Jun 21, 2009
  16. LynnMc

ajadoniz

i resolved the same problem by deleting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/POLICIES/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/WINDOWSUPDATE. i kept looking for windows updater, but on mine it was windowsupdate. hope that helps and best of luck to you all.

ajadoniz, Jun 23, 2009
  17. LynnMc

ColemanCannon

I am having this same issue! ugh..I am doing the full service scan for Windows Vista on Windows Live (One Care Scan..so far it says there's 2 issues). I really hope this works..does it? Please..any suggestions! :unsure:

ColemanCannon, Jun 29, 2009
  18. LynnMc

kristianwc

I've tried everything in this thread, and I'm getting to my whits end. :( The One Care scan took quite some time, but found 3 viruses which it deleted. at that point I was holding out some hope that it may just do the trick, but evidently it didn't solve the problem. I'm reluctant to reinstall windows because of reinstalling the applications, and setting it all back up again. I've only had the laptop 5 months. BitDefender also can't do any updates, so my antivirus software is also out-dated. In regards to the BitDefender problem, I'm unable to ping their update server because it returns a wrong IP. I've checked my host file thinking maybe something has altered it to force me elsewhere for other addresses (including windows update), but it's clean. Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

kristianwc, Jul 27, 2009
  19. LynnMc

onefromcov

I tried most of the above solutions unsuccessfully,installed malware bytes run full scan this resolved my problem,it appears to be a trojan as has already been suggested.hope this helps.

onefromcov, Aug 1, 2009
  20. LynnMc

WAW8

WAW8, Aug 1, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question