Windows can't check for updates

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by LynnMc, Oct 2, 2007.

1. LynnMc

LynnMc

[SOLVED] Windows can't check for updates

Hi, I was hoping someone here would be able to help me. For over a month my laptop hasn't been able to download windows updates. An icon appears in the system tray telling me as much. When I click on the icon it brings up the update page, I click on the check for updates which returns an error code of 8000FFF. I have tried searching for this errror code but can't find it.

The last Windows update was CAPICOM (KB931906) which was downloaded on 29th August. Since then it has only been Windows Defender updating and Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. Have there been any updates since that date?

In addition Microsoft XML Core Service 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181) has been trying to install since 20th August but fails every time. That error code is 643, and again I can't find that error code.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1521, AMD Turion (TM) 64x2 TL-50 1.6GHz, 1918meg, 32-bit operation Vista Home Premium.

I hope someone will be able to give me some guidance/advice on how to correct this problem.

Thanks

LynnMc, Oct 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. LynnMc

kingofnexus

RE: [SOLVED] Windows can't check for updates

There is something going on, and yes you should be concerned. I'm not sure what exactly is going on, but the first thing you should do is disable any firewals / anti virus's that are running. This can sometimes block windows update and hence cause errors like the one you describe.

kingofnexus, Oct 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. LynnMc

LynnMc

Thanks Kingofnexus for replying. I have done what yousuggested and disabled anti-virus, firewall etc and tried scanning for updates and there was no change, it still didn't work.Can you suggest what I should do now. Is this something I should take up with Dell as the laptop is only 3 months old, or is it a Windows issue?

LynnMc, Oct 4, 2007
  4. LynnMc

kingofnexus

If you havent installed alot of programs and stuff since the last update installed perhaps trying a system restore to a date sometime before everything started to go wrong. If you havent messed around with system restore allocation space, and dont dual boot there should be system restore points that are far enough back for you to try. You can then go about installing updates again. However, hold back on installing the update which seemed to cause problems thereafter, and then install it after all the other updates and see if its the cause of your troubles.

To do a system restore type "System Restore" in the start menu. It will guide you through the rest. System restore uninstalls everything installed from the date you restore back to, and changes all settings back to that date to. You will <U>not</U> lose any documents or files in the process.

Its not the nicest thing to suggest restoring back a whole month, but it should fix the problem.

kingofnexus, Oct 5, 2007
  5. LynnMc

LynnMc

OK, thank you for the advice. It makes sense I suppose to take it back and since the CAPICOM seems to be the last Windows update I will take it back to before then. I had the laptop set to automatically update but I have changed that so I can cherry pick the downloads. So fingers crossed and I'll let you know how I get on.

:)

LynnMc, Oct 5, 2007
  6. LynnMc

LynnMc

Hi me again!

OK, so I was unable to go far enough back with system restore. I went back as far as I could in the hope it would be far enough, but to no avail. The automatic updates is still not working.

Do you have any other suggestions to fix this? Thank you

LynnMc, Oct 8, 2007
  7. LynnMc

Jason

You can try doing a manual update from the windows update site: windowsupdate.microsoft.com

I'm not 100% sure it works with Vista but I used it with XP all the time, and I'm not on my Vista machine right now so I can't tell you for sure.

Jason, Oct 8, 2007
  8. LynnMc

wiggleworms

hi, I've also been experiencing this problem since about the same date (8/28/2007)

the daylight savings time update (KB933360) has failed 8 times since then, and i've been too busy to worry about it

now that i'm worrying about it, it's too late to do a restore point

if anyone has any ideas, they'd be much appreciated

i spent an hour and a half with dell xps support and got nowhere

they deleted my history of updates though....

wiggleworms, Oct 9, 2007
  9. LynnMc

cyclic

Some updates can turn parts of the core services off and should return them to enabled when done, however there has been a problem with the script not turning things back on in the past.

You need to check that the required services that update depends on are running properly, into the 'run' box type services.msc and press enter, a list of running and available system services will arrive, there is the name of the service (you can drag the right hand column at the top to widen it so you can see all the name if needed) and description of what it is finally if it's actually started or not and the type of 'start' up that's applied to it which can be 1)automatic, 2)delayed start, 3), manual and finally 4) disabled. For update to work regardless of if auto updates is on or not and even for manual updates the following services have to be running in 'auto start' as they will not start manually(which means the system starts them when a program calls for it, not that you have to go into this each time and start it yourself, thankfully)

A). Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) should be 'started' and on automatic

B). SL UI notification- the one that checks legitimacy of system

C). Volume shadow copy -needed mainly for backup but also required during components download checks.

D). Windows Update - this one needs to be running ie 'started' but can be in delayed start mode rather than auto.

To change any of these which are not running click the service to highlight it and again to bring up it's individual properties sheet, the first tabbed page allows you to start the service if it's not already and set the start type from a drop down, make sure that is set to automatic or delayed in the case od windows update (the delay is a couple of seconds after booting to desktop it helps it not to conflict with other services as they are starting).

Getting the service started means you don't have to reboot, however it can be a good idea to reboot and then check again the services are starting as they should.

Last bit-promise ! If this makes no difference and the service 'diagnotic service host' is also running you should get a more specific error message as to why it's failing, it will tell which component of the software is playing up so you can fix it, or it might in some cases require other services to be enabled and running, it will tell you which if this is the case and you now know how to do it.

I hope this works for you, it often does the job in you situation, if not then there are other problems lurking about which we need to resolve.

cyclic, Oct 10, 2007
  10. LynnMc

LynnMc

Thank you Cyclic for your input. I went through your list A-D and ensured everything was enabled, with no affect so checked the Diagnostic Service Host and set that to automatic, but the service is set at stop and I can't seem to be able to start it. I don't get the option to start (on the left hand side) like I do with the others.

I have to say I now feel as though I am becoming obsessed with this fault and all my time online is spent trying to get it fixed. I have tried so many different things, and nothing is working.

I have read that update KB929777 could be the cause of this (failing to update), which I have on my list of downloads. I have tried to uninstall it but it keeps failing to uninstall. It would appear that I am stuck with the onesI have and no chance of getting any new ones!

BTW going to manually check for updates doesn't work with Vista, it brings me back to Control Panel\System and Maintenance\Windows Update on my pc.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you:)

LynnMc, Oct 10, 2007
  11. LynnMc

Peter

Ive also got a Dell, and having the same problem. last updates were installed on 29/08. ive tried the suggestions above with no success.

i cant find anything on the web to solve it either.

i occasionally get this error.

Windows could not search for new updates

Code 80072EFD

but even with all firewalls off it still doesnt work

any other ideas?

Peter, Oct 12, 2007
  12. LynnMc

LynnMc

Eureka!

I have the fix, thanks to Dell's forums.

Peter try this - <DIV>

To resolve Windows Update error 8000FFFF, try the following steps:<P align=left>1) Launch REGEDIT

2) Go into HKLM\COMPONENTS, and check if these three values exist under the COMPONENTS key:<P align=left><SPAN> PendingXmldentifier
    NextQueueEntryIndex
    AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving
    </SPAN><P align=left><SPAN></SPAN>3) Providing they do exist, back up the Components key, then delete the three above values.
    4) Restart the computer, and Windows Update should now be working fine.</DIV>

I tried this previously but I had in fact missed deleting the AdvancedInstallerNeedResolve(I had previously deleted Pending...)- deleted that file tonightand it all clicked back into place. I had 26 updates to be installed. I am delighted that I have this working now, I hope you get the same result.

If you want to verify what I have said, go here - http://www.dellcommunity.com/suppor...d=37691&amp;view=by_date_ascending&amp;page=2

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help with this, and I hope it is of assistance to others if they find they have the same fault.

:p

LynnMc, Oct 14, 2007
  13. LynnMc

RyderKA

LynnMc,

Oh my.......THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

IT WORKS!

Kim:D

RyderKA, Oct 15, 2007
  14. LynnMc

watchdog

I have had the same problem with a laptop I got in February from Dell and then upgraded to Vista Business. I can no longer get updates. I have used Microsoft support, but they couldn't solve the problem and felt it was a Domain problem because my laptop goes through a server and so I would have to talk to that support section Of MS which you have to pay for.

I then created a user that was outside of the Domain and took the laptop to my home system, disabled any firewalls and antivirus programs and it still cannot get updates.

If anyone finds a solution to this problem, I will be forever grateful.

I have been able to search for updates through Microsofts support sites, but you never know if they are ones you need. Sometimes they won't download for me through Internet Explorer, but they will through Firefox-go figure.

Keep looking for solutions because Microsoft doesn't know what is wrong.

watchdog, Oct 19, 2007
  15. LynnMc

kingofnexus

You did carry out the instructions in LynnMc's post above?

kingofnexus, Oct 21, 2007
  16. LynnMc

watchdog

After 8 months of trying to find a solution to this update problem and many e-mails with Microsoft I found my update solution on another forum and I can now get updates on the three Vista machines I have in the office that are on a domain.

Here is the solution that worked for me:

Run&gt;regedit&gt;HMKEY Local Machine&gt;Software&gt;Policies&gt;Microsoft&gt;Windows&gt;Windows Updater

Delete the Windows Updater key, restart the machine and you should get the updates. Again, I have now done it with three machines, one with a Vista upgrade, and two with Vista preloaded and it worked for all three.

Good Luck

watchdog, Oct 26, 2007
  17. LynnMc

FMAlchemist36

I've been having this problem for months and im extremely frustrated with windows updater. I tried to do your solution, but there is no "Windows Update" under "Windows" in regedit.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!! I'VE TRIED JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING ON THE INTERNET!!!

FMAlchemist36, Apr 12, 2008
  18. LynnMc

Aspirin99

I also have this problem and cannot locate HKLM\COMPONENTS or HMKEY Local Machine&gt;Software&gt;Policies&gt;Microsoft&gt;Windows&gt;Windows Updater - in my registry.

Any further advice? Thanks.

Aspirin99, May 6, 2008
  19. LynnMc

WAW8

Vista has apparently changed the registry hive names with SP1. What used to be referred to as "HKLM" is now HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- and you should have a COMPONENTS branch under that.

WAW8, May 6, 2008
  20. LynnMc

Hank Freid

Did you set time and date according to the present?

Regards:

Hank Freid

Hank Freid, May 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question