Windows Anytime Upgrade

Discussion in 'Main Lounge' started by lorenkjr, Sep 5, 2007.

1. lorenkjr

lorenkjr

Though I surely have been happy with Vista, things came to a head today and the answer to the problem in my case of not being able to validate my software is very very simple. Here's why. I purchased Windows Vista Home Basic and then Windows Vista Home Premium via the Digital Locker on the Windows Anytime Upgrade Site. Turns out that I can not upgrade from Windows Home XP to either of the two Windows Anytime Upgrade purchases I made over the Internet. Windows Vista Upgrades are (believe it since thats the word straight from Microsoft) are for people who Vista retail and then want to upgrade their copies of Vista to a hiugher version. Sound dumb?? It sure is because as I pointed and Microsoft admitted they do not say that anywhere on their site. This ends up being half the problem. Microsoft finally got Arvado (a Microsoft Services Company on conference call) and Microsoft told them in no uncertain terms to refund my period no questions asked. Then Microsoft says I have to go out and buy a retail copy of either Windows Home Basic or Windows Home Premium as the retail copies are the only ones that can upgrade from XP to Vista. What this sounds like to me anyway, is someone was asleep at the wheel when the homework was assigned, as this really is rathera large embarrassment to Microsoft. Since the obvious question I asked, was I the only one this has happened to??????????? Answer, not hardly. So for those who may not know this, if you own XP and want to upgrade to Vista the only way this can be done is to buy the retail box of the Vista you wish, and no other way will work period according to Microsoft themselves. It's not the formatting and reformatting and installing and reinstalling that gets me, it's the obvious that gets me and thats that in way shape or form is ever explained anywhere on the Web Site where I purchased this from. So I hope in the long run this will help others to get the right thing the first time, cause I sure made a big mess for myself.

lorenkjr, Sep 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. lorenkjr

cyclic

You can do a clean install of Vista from an upgrade disk, so I don't know who you have been talking to but they need homework alright, you have been misled for some reason.

cyclic, Sep 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. lorenkjr

lorenkjr

Read Message

Help

From Vista Setup - Frontline CVG BLR <[email protected]om> Block Sender | Block Domain

Date 2007/09/05 Wed PM 10:22:59 CDT

To [email protected]

Subject SRX1043473897ID - SRX1043473897

or move to

Hi Loren ,

This is Abhay with Microsoft Windows Technical Support.

I am following up regarding your Windows service request 1043473897. Here is an outline of the steps that we agreed upon during our call:

Problem Description:

-->Tried to Upgrade Install Vista Home Premium on Xp Home Computer

Troubleshooting Performed:

-->Tried to Activate Vista using Online Activation Process

-->Tried to Call Order desk on 1-800-360-7561

-->Tried to call Arvado on 1-877-666-2296

Comments:I Appreciate Your concern as you had mailed to know the difference between Anytime upgrade DVD and Upgrade installation

The major difference between both is that the Anytime Upgrade is designed to Upgrade Vista from Lower edition to Higher edition and You need to Buy the License agreement from the windows Market place and start the installation from the web link send to you from the email which will ask you for the Vista Anytime upgrade DVD During the installation process

When you have Upgrade DVD you need to have Preinstalled Windows Xp edition which is a Proper upgrade to the Vista edition and the upgrade should be started from the Desktop of Legacy operating system ,this Upgrade Should be from Xp to Vista and not Vista to Vista

One of our Support Professionals will attempt to reach you at the preferred callback time to assist you for the Vista installation We have recorded your availability as below:

Available Days: August 10, 2007

Preferred Times: 2pm to 4pm

Time Zone: EST

Now let's see here I have the downloadable Vista Home Basic and a Vista Home Premium Windows Anytime DVD which requires a digital license, so if I could use either of these for a clean install over Windows XP what would the procedure be????

lorenkjr, Sep 6, 2007
  4. lorenkjr

lorenkjr

Darn it you guys are the ones I will always call before I call Microsoft. All right Vista Home Basic is now activated. The next dumb is do I dare try install the Vista Home Premium on top of this and what is the recommended procedure for doing this. Thank you ever so much!!!!

lorenkjr, Sep 6, 2007
  5. lorenkjr

lorenkjr

What worked for Vista Home Basic has not for Vista Home Premium. I assumed that I did not have to do a clean install when installing Home Premium but, that has not worked in three tries so, I assume that I likely have do a clean install when installing Home Premium also, is this correct???? Other than that problem all seems well with Home Basic.

lorenkjr, Sep 6, 2007
  6. lorenkjr

lorenkjr

Well darn near done, with a clean install of Windows Vista Home Premium. And it's looking really good so far as though this will finally work. Thank you all your great and I appreciate it.

lorenkjr, Sep 6, 2007
  7. lorenkjr

lorenkjr

Again thank you everyone, Home Premium is now activated. Now to have some fun tonight!!!

lorenkjr, Sep 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question