Will Vista Home Premium / Ultimate open VOB files straight off a DVD?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Threxx, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Threxx

Threxx

The Windows Movie Maker 2.1 (or whatever it's called) that is free with XP SP2, won't open VOB files straight off of a DVD. I tried Adobe Premiere 3.0 but it seems buggy or else it's horribly slow and I don't have the patience to give it 2 hours to import and convert a single DVD.

So at this point I'm just hoping that Vista Ultimate and/or Home Premium has some included software that is capable of importing VOB files?

Threxx, Mar 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Threxx

Brian.Jackson

ImTOO Has a lot of good DVD conversion software that's pretty quick, i use it for my Sony Handycam. Also I hear good things about DVD shrink but I'm yet to use it, so I'm not sure how long the conversion time is.

Brian.Jackson, Mar 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Threxx

Jason

DVDshrink is nice, you can also use a program called DVDFab which is better at decrypting the newer types of encryption on DVDS.(Of course for backup of originals only)

Jason, Mar 30, 2007
  4. Threxx

Titch

Not sure what you are doing exactly but this is what I use.

I have been using DVD shrink for a while now and have had no problems at all. I back my DVD's up as Xvid/avi files to stream to my xbox 360. To convert them I use a piece of software called Auto Gordian Knot(AGK). Both are free and are very easy to use. I definatly know my way around computers but I am all for the easy life and thats what you get with these.

When it comes to converting with AGK all you need to know is,where the VOB file is, where you want to store the avi and how big you want the file to be or what % of quality you want to keep. Just press start. You can even que up multiple tasks.

Importing the vob files from an average90min movie with DVD Shrinktakes about 9/10 mins with my Core2Duo E6400 and converting takes about 40mins maintaing 85% of the original quality with an output file size of about 1.5/2Gb using AGK. Another one I have used is Clone DVD doesn't quite offer the same freedom as the other 2 programs but is an all one solution if you are converting to avi.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you ask me a question and I dont know the answer, I'm gonna tell you that I don't know! But I know how to find the answer and I will find the answer! -: WillSmith - The Pusuit of Happiness.

Titch, Apr 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question