Will my PC run with Vista?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by zez, Mar 17, 2009.

1. zez

zez

Hi,

I am currently trying to upgrade my parents PC. It is quite old, so I want to know if they can buy Vista and install this. I have just purchased 1.5GB of RAM for them, so I think this should be OK. I have two questions I was hoping for your expert help with:

1) The processor is 900MHz (AMD Duron). Since there is now 1.5GB of RAM, is this enough to run Vista OK, using the processor mentioned? Other option is to find a processor to replace the current one in this motherboard, and option is the AMD Athlon 2000+ (1667MHz), however since money is their concern, I am hoping we can get by with the 1.5GB RAM and Duron 900MHz processor?

2) Motherboard is the FIC AZ11EA - Someone has now told me I may not even be able to run Vista using this motherboard?

I have checked the FIC website for info, but they have nothing as this motherboard is approx 7yrs old.

Please, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

zez, Mar 17, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. zez

WAW8

Less than 1GHz processor performance in Vista will be so slow as to be unusable.

But your bigger problem will be chipset drivers and hardware drivers. Without chipset drivers from the motherboard supplier, your machine may not even boot. Any hardware older than three years is also not likely to have Vista drivers.

Also, do not believe the minimums that MS posts in terms of system requirements. These are the minimums to permit installation, not for useful performance.

Have read reports that Seven works better on low-end machines, but you're still going to have the same problem with lack of drivers.

WAW8, Mar 17, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question