Why is sound coming through speakers when headset plugged in?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by sorcaress, Jun 21, 2010.

1. sorcaress

sorcaress

For some reason, when I plug in my headset the sound is still coming through the laptop speakers and not the headset. I have not changed any settings - unless they have changed themselves for some reason. I have tried two different headsets and both times the sound still comes through the speakers and not the headset.

Does anyone know where I can find any settings to check if 'headset' is still switched on? Has something gone bust? Do I need to update anything? The comp uses Realtek High Definition Audio and have Vista system. Have not had this problem with the comp before. Any ideas and suggestions please? Thanks.

sorcaress, Jun 21, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. sorcaress

WAW8

In the other thread, the OP said they had a headset plugged in via a USB jack -- which points to a driver problem. IF your headset is plugged in via the headset jack, that points to a hardware problem.

You can check the sound settings by right-clicking on the speaker in control panel, or if you have an audio configuration application, by using that. But if it IS the headphone jack, you will probably need to contact the laptop vendor to find out what they suggest.

WAW8, Jun 22, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question