Why is Adobe Reader running all my .exe files??

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by steinm10, Feb 9, 2007.

1. steinm10

steinm10

I had to uninstall Adobe Reader because I could not figure out how to change my .exe files to run normal. Whenever I click on for ex. Microsoft Office, it would open up Adobe Reader and give me an error. Any programs in my Start menu would try and open up in reader. Where can I change that so everything is not opening with Reader??

steinm10, Feb 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. steinm10

Tha*Lunat!k

I can't recall where it is in Vista but it typically is under Tools > Folder Options within any Explorer folder. Find something along those lines and go to the File Types tab. Find .exe files and try using the Restore Default button or however they label it.

I apologize that I can't be more specific but I'm at work right now and don't have Vista up in front of me.

Tha*Lunat!k, Feb 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. steinm10

RLJ1.51

The current steps under window Vista is by going to the Control Panel - Programs - Default Programs and then click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program"

However, I cannot find a restore default. You can only choose another program to open that file type with. There is a section for Choose Default Programs, however, things like PDF or most other files types are not there. :angry:

RLJ1.51, Feb 10, 2007
  4. steinm10

/|G3NT42

coudn't you just right click on the application you are trying to run.... go to open with...

and chooose the specified program to open....set that as default and it should have ne problems... just sounds like you fudged up the file association.

bta maybe i am wrong... anything beyond doing that I'd say just reinstall.

/|G3NT42, Feb 10, 2007
  5. steinm10

Tha*Lunat!k

Tha*Lunat!k, Feb 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question