Why are all these files in my Public folder?

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by vardiss, Oct 18, 2010.

1. vardiss

vardiss

Why are all these files in my Public folder?

I just set up my Public folders to share files across my home network and the Public folder already has lots of files in it that I didn't put there.

For example, Public Desktop has shortcuts to Adobe Reader etc. Another folder called Games has the full installations of some of my games. I don't want these shared!

When I deleted some of them, they were also deleted from my real desktop. Not good.
    When I clicked on Share and tried to Unshare one of these folders, it wouldn't let me.

Three questions:
    1) How did they get there in the first place?
    2) How can I keep this from happening in the future?
    3) Since deleting some of them also deleted them from my computer, how can I remove these files from the Public sharing area without messing up the installation on my computer?

vardiss, Oct 18, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. vardiss

molokaicreeper

Me too! What to do...

Ok, primarily I am in a home network one laptop with Vista (from my husband) the other with Win7 (mine) and the public folder in the Vista has a bunch of songs in the Public Music folder that never did my husband put there! I was thinking about consulting to my husband about it so that he would delete them, but according to the post above, he would be deleting his music library if he does this! Well that's not right! Is that the way that's supposed to work? Are those taking extra room in my husband's computer?

molokaicreeper, Feb 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question