Which version of Vista is ok for me

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by javed, Aug 9, 2007.

1. javed

javed

hi experts, i bought PC with Vista Home Premium installed. Now i have installed MS Visual Studio 2005, but during installation came a number of compatibility issues. And these issues are due to Vista. I am a programmer and i want to develop web applications using VS 2005, IIS as web serverand SQL Server database. Please help me with your expert suggestions to decide me which version of Vista i should buy or which version is most compatible for VS 2005 and SQL Server. thanks a lot for your help in advance.

javed, Aug 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. javed

WAW8

First, thanks for referring to us as "experts"!! Second, there's not really a simple answer to your question because, quite frankly, Vista isn't really being pushed as a development platform -- it's all about the end-user "experience".

Having done Windows development myself, it was all about the availability (and maturity) of development tools for the windows platform. Visual Studio has been around for a long time and was not written with Vista in mind. Until Vista matures somewhat, my advice is to do development on an Xp box, and port the results over to a Vista box for testing.

Why stay with XP? Because, Vista is still so new that there are "issues" with using VS 2005 on Vista. For more info, see the following link:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa948853.aspx

You'll really need to read about the impacts and decide for yourself.

WAW8, Aug 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. javed

javed

javed, Aug 14, 2007
  4. javed

WAW8

To make your decision even more complicated, I saw an announcement just the other day about VS 2008. That's probably designed to work with Vista. So, if you're going to do a lot of new development, you should check out VS 2008.

WAW8, Aug 14, 2007
  5. javed

MrMagic

Just FYI, I've been running VS 2005 on Home Premium since Vista came out and the patches for VS 2005 came out. Have had no noticable problems, but you MUST get ALL the available patches.

The VS 2008 Beta, ORCA is about a 5gb download, works ok but there are still warts, as one would expect. For right now VS 2005 is doing the job for me.

Steve

MrMagic, Aug 14, 2007
  6. javed

javed

thanks a lot every body for giving me useful suggestions. i decide to keep what i have, i mean Vista Home Premium, and hope that nothing will happen. Ofcourse i have downloaded all patches and will continue to do that.

javed, Aug 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question