Which PC's run Vista premium

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by benf, May 31, 2006.

1. benf

benf

Hello, I am looking to buy a new PC. According to the "get ready" section on the windows vista page there is only one PC that will run premium vista (Dell XPS 600). There must be far more. Just wondering weather anyone can help.

benf, May 31, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. benf

Jason

Thats complete BS if microsoft actaully does have that on there site. Any pc will be able to run premium, but depending on the amount of memory and age of graphics card you may need to tone down the theme/graphics. Sounds like micosoft has some kind of deal w/ dell so they are trying to get people to buy dells for vista when its not necessary. What kind of pc specs do you have? We can try and figure out if you will be able to run vista. There are also threads in the technical forums about the minimum requirements to run vista.

Cheers.

Jason, May 31, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. benf

benf

Well at the moment I have a rubbish pentium 3 computer 128mb of ram, 1GHZ and 20GB hard drive. (this can not runvista and needs replaceing anyway as it can hardly handel XP)

and a pentium 4 compaq presario 6000

512mb of RAM, 2.53 GHZ, 71gb and a 3.33 gb hard dives. The graphics card is not good enough for premium vista with all the affects. ALthough this computer does not need the fancy affects as its for work mainly.

I need a new computer (to replace the pentium 3 one) which is why I was asking, which ones work well with all the graphic settings turned on. I know it would be best to wait for vista to be released and then buy a new desktopbut the computer I have is so rubbish it is painful.

benf, Jun 2, 2006
  4. benf

Jason

Well, your dimension 6000 can definitly run it like you said. It can probably also run the graphics depending on the car and the amount of shared video memory.

If I were you I would wait to buy a computer until vista is released. The main reason being at that point vista will begin to be packaged w/ computers. So when you buy a computer it comes w/ vista pre loaded. This is nice as you dont need to buy vista(unless its not premium) and you know the computer can run it.

In short if you want to buy one right away. Get something with at least a 2ghz cpu. I recommend the Athlon Xp x64 bit, this way you can run Vista x64 which is faster then regular x32 vista. You should have around 1gb of ram. The hard drive itself is not vary important it depends on how much data you personally store. 20gb is plent for just application and vista. vista takes around 4gb I belive to install itself. The video card you pick should be any card which uses an AGP port or pci express. Don't get any integrated graphics card which is inside hte motherboard as the drivers for it will not support the direct x which vista requires for its graphics. Any card made by ATI or Nvidia which is at leaste 2 years old or newer will work fine. W/ memory of around 128mb dedicated to the card.

Jason, Jun 2, 2006
  5. benf

benf

Thanks you have been a great help :)

Ihave one more question though so do all 2 (well it would be newer than that because of a new compter)year old made by ATI or Nvidia and have 128mb of decicated memory work with Windows Aero.

benf, Jun 3, 2006
  6. benf

Jason

2 years was just an example/estimate. ATI/Nvidia cars came come w/ a number of different amounts of dedicated memory from 32mb,64mb,128mb or even 256mb(high end). I'd get something w/ at leaste 128mb of dedicated memory. I think I remember a list of compatible video cars posted up in the lounge or tech forum.

Jason, Jun 4, 2006
  7. benf

someguy

With most modern systems you should be able to run Vista.

Even my old box can run it:

Dell Optiplex GX1

PIII 500MHZ

256mb RAM

8mb ATi Rage pro

15GBHDD

It is a little on the laggy side

but i disabled services like the sidebar and Defender. now it runs ok.

someguy, Jun 5, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question