Where should I start?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by es336td, Nov 13, 2012.

1. es336td

es336td

I had a problem with all my computers working on my wireless network back in the winter. My laptop (w/Vista) was the only one not in the same workgroup... I made them all the same. I was able to get to each other computer... to the internet... exactly how I wanted it set up. But shortly after I got that working, I noticed that the network icon, in the tray, had a red X through it; but I could still go anywhere on the network and had access to the internet.

I then got the error message that my antivirus software was not active (even though it was); I use AVG. The Security Center won't let me say I have my own program, or whatever. Also, the firewall won't turn on... at least it says it won't.

I also get Windows Installer error.... Windows Installer could not be accessed.

Also, these updates won't install - Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2393802 & KB2633171).

As you can see, I have a plethora of problems. What order should I attempt to fix them? I've done Google searches on the Security Center problem and the Installer problem. I've tried a few of the solutions with no good results. This forum has helped me before, please guide me again. Thank you.

L

es336td, Nov 13, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. es336td

es336td

SP2 is the problem?

After searching, it looks like SP2 is the problem.... I try to uninstall it...

I go here:supportDOTmicrosoftDOTcom/kb/948537

Option 1: I see nothing that looks like SP2 when I bring up appwiz.cpl

Option 2A: I don't have system disks... supposedly, I have the restore crap on my D drive. I go and run PCRestore.exe to format and reset everything. It comes up and runs for a bit, then I get an error box with only the red X in it. I don't have any discs, just the D drive.

Option 2B: rstrui is not found

Option 3: I cannot find the service pack files anywhere on my computer.

I have no idea what I can do to fix this. Does anyone else?

Thanx
    L

es336td, Nov 13, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. es336td

es336td

No one knows? Did I not give enough info?

es336td, Nov 16, 2012
  4. es336td

[email protected]

how do I save emails windows 8

[email protected], Dec 22, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question