Where is my webcam?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by The_Cheese, Oct 7, 2007.

1. The_Cheese

The_Cheese

I'm new to vista and I have installed my two webcams, their in the device manager and everything looks ok, but where do I go to view them? In XP all you had to do was open my computer and there they are.

Please help.

The_Cheese, Oct 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. The_Cheese

cyclic

Sorry to need to ask a basic question, purely as I have no way of knowing your 'user' ability, but have you established the drivers are Vista drivers ? if they are they should be in the exact place you are expecting them to be, a wrong driver should in a perfect world refuse to install itself, it's not a perfect world.

Follow up, what make are they, there are some which are more compliant than others even with the Vista approved sticker (Trust as an example and a more unsuitable name there could not be for a company producing devices with the quality they do).

Whatever the answer we'll soon have you sorted.

cyclic, Oct 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. The_Cheese

Jason

I don't know about you guys but most of the time when I had a webcam hooked up in XP it didn't appear in my computer. There was always this little application located in the system32 folder which would let you watch and record from the webcam, it had a funky name which I cannot recall.

You say that they appear in device manager, does it say that they have been successfully installed when you click on them? Any Exclamation points or question marks by them? Most likely you need to download the latest drivers and hope they have some for Vista already.

Jason, Oct 8, 2007
  4. The_Cheese

Walker

you can only use your webcam if an application that uses webcams needs it. i.e. Messenger or uStream will use the webcam but under normal circumstances your webcam will not be used. The reason notebooks often like to use webcams is because of bloatware from the companies.

Stuff like funky screensavers which show what the webcam sees.....

Walker, Dec 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question