When using an upgrade copy/license but doing a clean install, how does it verify your previous insta

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Threxx, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Threxx

Threxx

I'm assuming a clean install with an upgrade license will be identical to a clean install with a 'full' copy, except that at some point during the process, it will ask for my key for Windows XP?

I just want to confirm this is the case before I go buy an upgrade copy.

Oh one last question to tack on here - if I have a desktop and a laptop computer will it let me install the same copy and license key of Vista on both? I know some MS products in the past have allowed you to install on more than one computer because they realize a lot of people have more than one computer but they only work with one at a given time.

Threxx, Jan 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Threxx

Jason

This should help taken from microsoft site:<H1 class=pageTitle>Upgrade Paths from Previous Versions</H1><A name=EBB></A><H2></H2>

For many of you, the Windows Vista experience will begin with the purchase of a new PC. For others, the experience begins by upgrading your current PC, and it's important to understand your upgrade options. Your choices depend on the version of Windows that is currently running on your PC and the type of computer hardware you have to run certain features. Here’s how you can start planning for an upgrade to Windows Vista.<A name=EDB></A><H2>The options</H2>

You can upgrade from your current edition of Microsoft Windows XP or Windows 2000 to a corresponding or better edition of Windows Vista by purchasing and installing an upgrade copy of Windows Vista. If you're upgrading multiple PCs in a household, you can save time and money with the Windows Vista Family Discount.<A name=ELB></A><H2>Installation options</H2>

You can upgrade in-place, which means you can install Windows Vista and retain your applications, files, and settings as they were in your previous edition of Windows.

Clean install

Upgrading to Windows Vista with a clean install means that you should use Windows Easy Transfer to automatically copy all your files and settings to an extra hard drive or other storage device, and then install Windows Vista. After the installation is complete, Windows Easy Transfer will reload your files and settings on your upgraded PC. You will then need to reinstall your applications.

The table below outlines the upgrade options mapped to the different Windows Vista editions.

<TABLE class=dataTable id=E2B cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><THEAD><TR><TD class=dataTableHeaderCorner style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/windows/templates/Article/../Common/images/dt_hdr_side_left.gif)" vAlign=top>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=dataTableHeaderMid style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/windows/templates/Article/../Common/images/dt_hdr_top.gif)" vAlign=center></TD><TD class=dataTableHeaderMid style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/windows/templates/Article/../Common/images/dt_hdr_top.gif)" vAlign=center>Home Basic</TD><TD class=dataTableHeaderMid style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/windows/templates/Article/../Common/images/dt_hdr_top.gif)" vAlign=center>Home Premium</TD><TD class=dataTableHeaderMid style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/windows/templates/Article/../Common/images/dt_hdr_top.gif)" vAlign=center>Business</TD><TD class=dataTableHeaderMid style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/windows/templates/Article/../Common/images/dt_hdr_top.gif)" vAlign=center>Ultimate</TD><TD class=dataTableHeaderCorner style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/windows/templates/Article/../Common/images/dt_hdr_side_right.gif)" vAlign=top>[​IMG]</TD></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR><TD class=dataTableItemRowTop colSpan=99 height=3>[​IMG]</TD></TR><A name=EUC></A><H2></H2><TR class=dataTableItemRowOdd style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/windows/templates/Article/../Common/images/bkg_table_wht.png)" vAlign=top><TD class=dataTableBorderLeft>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=dataTableItem>

Windows XP Professional</TD><TD class=dataTableItem style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle! important; TEXT-ALIGN: center! important">[​IMG]</TD><TD class=dataTableItem style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle! important; TEXT-ALIGN: center! important">[​IMG]</TD><TD class=dataTableItem style="VERTICA

Jason, Jan 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Threxx

Threxx

Thanks for the info - I had thread that on the MS site but it doesn't really say what's expected of the user during the clean install process with an upgrade license - is it just the key for XP?

I just thought of one last situation not really covered by that chart. Would an ultimate upgrade license also unlock all of the ultimate features on a Vista Home 'Basic' version equipped computer? Their chart covers upgrades from the previous OSes, but not from lower versions of Vista.

Thanks

Threxx, Jan 31, 2007
  4. Threxx

sphyder

I found this out the hard way last night. You can only do a clean install of Vista upgrade version through the gui of an older version of windows.

During my install of the upgrade I corrupted my xp. The Vista install did not complete, so I tried to do an install booting off of the Vista dvd. When it asks for the Vista key, it tells you that the key can only be activated through an older version of windows. At this point it boots you out. I had to repair my XP installation then re-install service pack 2. Service pack 2 is NEEDED to install the Vista upgrade. Vista installed successfully after the last attempt.

At no point during install did it ask for my XP key. I believe it did an online verification though. May be different for those with dial up or no internet.

sphyder, Jan 31, 2007
  5. Threxx

Jason

Good info, but that is typical of how an upgrade will work. You must run it from within xp and I guess since you are running it in xp you obviously have a cd key so you don't need to re-enter it.

Jason, Jan 31, 2007
  6. Threxx

Threxx

So what about using a Vista Ultimate upgrade key to upgrade a licensed copy of Vista Basic?

That's exactly what I was fearing. That's a terrible design, but I'm not exactly shocked.

If I have a valid XP key, what more should it care?

Threxx, Jan 31, 2007
  7. Threxx

Jason

Not too sure about that, good quesiton.

Jason, Jan 31, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question