What would you like to have seen in Vista?

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by Goffee, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Goffee

Goffee

My thoughts:

Voodoo memory – You’d need the hardware vendors in on this, but it’s worth a shot. Instead of adding RAM sticks for extra memory, which is a nice trick, let Windows use any memory on the system. How much video memory is used on a 512Mb graphics card when running Windows? Let the OS borrow the rest when you’re not playing Quake V – Mincemeat.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt">Free flow – A multi-layer desktop. Featuring your personal choice of web, or your company’s choice of essential intranet information, flowing in the background. We’ve got Glass – let’s use for more than just fluff.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt">Hey-you’re-running-out-of-RAM-dummy! - A simple alert that lets you know exactly how much RAM a program needs to run properly and offers a solution of what you can shut down, even parts of the OS, to run it efficiently.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt"><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"></SPAN>Super-snap-shot – Copies your currently open documents to a memory card, Bluetooth mobile phone or other destination INSTANTLY so you can walk away in seconds with your latest files for use on another PC.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 10pt">Any ideas on what Vista really should have had?

http://www.goffee-freelance.blogspot.com/

Goffee, Mar 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Goffee

Jason

Everything sounds legit, except the vodoo memory thing. Windows doesn manage memory that way and nor does your bus on your motherboard so that physically isnt possible. Then again Vista does use all 512 mb when your running aero.

Jason, Mar 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Goffee

cyclic

An explanation of their pricing policy in the EULA and a properly tested and stable WiFi subsystem, by not yet addressing the problem they are alienating a good many 'would be' Vista take ups especially in Business..........very silly mistake, it needs sorting.

Of course they've made it a doddle to connect an Xbox 360 but that's about all.

Also and finally I think that MS themselves should be producing information that comes with the system about which services are really needed for specific tasks and tools that would allow you to list services you want 'off' en mass so that when gaming for example you could open the tool and apply the appropriate services profile to give you as much resource as possible, yes I know you can do this making various profiles and either booting to a new profile or creating multiple accounts with each 'set' of services running so you can log off one account an onto another but surely we've come further than that, no? and as unlikely as it might sound there is still a part of the community which don't have interent access for a variety of reasons, surely this could be auto detected and the raft of irrelivant networking services disabled, I just feel the inherent 'cleverness' of current systems is not put to work making the users environmentand resources as prolific as is possible with some fairly simple scripting.

cyclic, Mar 29, 2007
  4. Goffee

WAW8

An activation "policy" that doesn't punish you for upgrading your machine!!! I don't deny MS the right to protect themselves against piracy but come on! I bought this copy, I have the DVD and product key to prove it. One activation should be enough. If necessary, generate a Windows Genuine PC Key file, that I can save to USB, and, should activation get broken somehow, I stick the USB key in the drive, rerun authentication, it generates a new key file, and I'm good to go.

An upgrade to Windows sound that doesn't break every sound card in existence! OK, so MS now has OpenAL. Well, woopee! Add it as a new feature; don't take away features that I already have -- and then force me to wait MONTHS until the sound chip/card manufacturers finally get around to selling something that incorporates OpenAL.

UAC that doesn't ask me EVERY SINGLE TIME I launch the same program, if it's OK!! Give me the ability to check a box (like the yes-for-all box) so that once I OK it, I'm done. Then generate and save a checksum of the file, including the date/time that the checksum gets saved, so that if it gets modified or replaced, I have to OK it again. Perhaps even allow me to lock up the file in some sort of protected mode so that it can't be modified or replaced without my express permission.

A Windows Update that doesn't replace current drivers with older drivers (yes, it does), doesn't nag me about umpteen language extensions that I don't want, and doesn't re-verify my authenticity every time I go to download something. Again, once my PC is authenticated, that should be enough!

WAW8, Mar 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question