What Windows Vista Runs on

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Jason, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Jason

WAW8

Update on the Epson R220 printer problems in Vista 32-bit. Epson Australia has the Vista drivers for the R220 -- just hides them under R230. Installed them and they work great! Even has a Vista-compatible version of the Epson Print Status Monitor -- to show the ink levels in the cartridges.

Still no news on the Turtle Beach Montego DDL card, though, The C-media drivers installed by Vista work, and they even provide 7.1 sound -- but only on the front two channels. But, that's better than no sound at all.

WAW8, Feb 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

ted1

I installed Vista Ultimate on VMware on a 3.2ghz 2gb ram machine just to have a poke around. I'm afraid I was very disappointed. the same old operating system with a load of bells and whistles to slow it down, the phrase "polishing a turd" springs to mind.

All in all a poor copy of Apples OSX, which out performs this in all aspects, when I upgradeI shall be waving goodbye to Microsoft and moving to Apple, why have a bad copy when you can have the real thing.

Signed a disappointed user

ted1, Feb 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

Rammstein

Core 2 Duo 6400

Nvidia 7950 GX2

Xfi Soundcard

4 Gig DDR2 667 Ram

4x 200 Sata H/Drives

Rammstein, Feb 14, 2007
  4. Jason

yllsen

Specs below,

Installed Vista ultimate in less than an hour with no annoyances. For my sound driver which is Realtek AC97, I installed the driver using the cd that came with my ECS C51GM-Mmotherboard andit worked fine. No need to download the vista driver for AC 97.

yllsen, Feb 14, 2007
  5. Jason

driek

Greetings! I am curious to learn how you were able to get the Apple Cinema Display 20" monitor to work under Vista. I am only running Vista and cannot get it to recognize the Apple monitor.

Your help would be *much* appreciated.

Thanks!

driek, Feb 16, 2007
  6. Jason

kami

Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 2.13GHZ

1.5GB RAM pc 3200 DDR

450GB HDD

Ati Radeon 9200 LE

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit

works great but i need to upgrade my graphics card. but short of cash :D

kami, Feb 22, 2007
  7. Jason

Klyster

Vista Home Premium OEM

E6600 core 2 cpu

2x 1gb corsair 6400

Asus EN7900 GT TOP

Gigabyte 965p-DQ6 rev.3

Raidmax 520W PSU

2x WD 250 GB 16mb sata2 Hdd

3 other sata hdd

Dell 2407WFP rev.3

Installed Vista, no problem as yet, dual boot works sweet.

Oblivion works sweet.

I'm actually impressed so far, all the bad comments seem to be from badly configured or underspecced computers.

Eventually, I might turn off the eye candy, but I'm not noticing any performance deficit as yet, so meh.

All my media plays, especially after installing the latest Klite codec pack, which I'd recommend as you can view .flv files and skip through them properly unlike vlc.

Optical audio is a dream.

I just need to get me a 8800 of some type, or maybe the new 8600gt when it appears.

Shame the R600 has been delayed yet again eh?

Klyster, Feb 23, 2007
  8. Jason

speed_demon_freak

Intel D975XBX2 MB

Core 2 E6600 @ 2.40GHZ

4 GB CORSAIR XMS2 6400

EVGA GeForce 7600 GT KO

2-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording)250GB 7200 RPM 16MB (not in RAID, My mistake)

Vista Home Premium (off the shelf box)

I like Vista. I'm still trying to figure where everything is at. To many clicks to get to something simple.

speed_demon_freak, Mar 6, 2007
  9. Jason

hintv

I got a free Core 2 Duo chip from work and decided to build a system using parts I already have. The only thing I ended up buying was an ASUS P5PE-VM MB, since I have an GForce 6200 laying around. The only driver problem I had was getting the TB Montego to work with just spdif passthrough and an ATI HDTV wonder to work.

After about 2 days trying to get the the TB to work, I came across the AuzenTech HDA X-Mystique and found that they now have Vista drivers. I first installed it using the setup and it wasn't finding the TB. As a last attempt before scrapping the Vista and going to XP, I loaded just the driver using device manager. After that I opened the PCI 3D Audio program and selected DDL. Been working for a week now.

Got my ATI HDTV working last night. Vista is looking good now.

hintv, Mar 22, 2007
  10. Jason

WAW8

The standard restore capability (a la XP) can be found in Control Panel in the backup and restore center.

Home Premium doesn't actually have the full system imaging feature, in the sense that you can image the OS and data partitions and restore them -- along the same lines as Symantec Ghost or Acronis True Image. You can back up files, but not a complete system image.

For full system imaging, you have to upgrade to Business or Ultimate.

WAW8, Mar 22, 2007
  11. Jason

jdonner

Core2duo and a few GB of RAM and it truely flies. My whole system was actually built 4 months ago with nothing but Vista in mind and I'm glad I did; fast and pretty much zero problems.

jdonner, Mar 23, 2007
  12. Jason

WAW8

I'm interested in how exactly you got the Auzen SW to work with your TB card.

I have a TB Montego DDL, downloaded the Auzen Vista SW, ran the setup program -- and it complained that it couldn't find the C-media device.

Did you just do an Update Driver in Device Manager?

Did you get the C-Media software to install so that you can tweak the sounds? Or were you only able to get the drivers installed?

I'm curious because I want my 5.1 sound back and my TB only gives me 2-channel sound. Been waiting on TB since Vista launch, and still no Vista drivers from them. About to go out and buy an Auzen card or Bluegears card (they both have Vista drivers) when I saw your post.

WAW8, Mar 25, 2007
  13. Jason

warlord

My specs:Vista 64Bit Ultimate, Asus A8N32 Sli, X2 4400+ Dualcore, 4Gig DDR PC400,

X1900XT 512Mb, XFi Extreme Music, 320Gig Sata2, 120Gig HD,40Gig HD, 550Watt PS, 2DVD Burners Lightscribe, System running perfectly sice day 1....

warlord, Mar 29, 2007
  14. Jason

Titch

PC Specs

Intel Core2Duo 6400
    2GB Corsair DDR2
    ATi X1650 256mb
    Gigabite GA 965P S3 v1

Vista Home Premium 32bit

I've had a few teathing problems as many of us have. But seems like I have sortdeverything. Runs like a dream now. Games are all ok, applications are all ok. Wakes up from sleep in just 2/3 seconds. I havehonestly never been so pleased with any other machine with regaurd to performance.

Titch, Apr 7, 2007
  15. Jason

JohnM

Thermaltake case & psu
    Intel Core2Duo E6600
    Intel GB965RY Motherboard
    Onboard Graphics
    2GB Generic 667 DDR2 Ram
    WD320Gig SATA II HDD
    WD250Gig SATA II HDD
    LG Dual Layer DVD Burner
    Ezonics Web cam
    Silicon Image PCI SATA Raid Controller
    Compro TV Tuner card
    Microsoft Keyboard with fingerprint reader & wireless mouse
    LG 20" Wide LCD monitor
    Epson R230 Printer
    HP 370 Multifunction printer

Have Vista drivers for all above devices

Ashampoo Burnig Studio 6.5
    Acronis 10 file & image backup
    AVG Free
    Open Office free
    Cute PDF printer free
    Foxit free pdf reader
    Audacity for audio recording free
    Using Vista movie maker for video edditing much faster than using Pinacle in XP.

Dual booting XP Pro with Vista Home Premium.
    Everything working great in Vista, not using XP at all now and no desire to go back.

JohnM, Apr 15, 2007
  16. Jason

Walker

My machine:

p4 2.53 GHz

X1650 Pro 512 mb

1,568 MB RAM

C-media AC97 with working drivers

Walker, Apr 16, 2007
  17. Jason

mrgreen371

Core 2 Duo E6600

Motherboard: ASUS P5W DH DELUXE

Ram: Kingston 1GB DDR2 667 x 2

Video: HIS X1900XT IceQ3 256MB

Running: Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Other than having Eclipse issues- no problems. I'm dual booting with xp pro just in case.

But so far I really like it. World of Warcraft runs fine, and I'll be "testing" other games in the near future.

mrgreen371, Apr 30, 2007
  18. Jason

Diggs

AMD Athlon 2400+ (2 ghz)

Soyo KT400 Black Dragon Motherboard (junk, can't overclock at all)

1 GB RAM (2x512MB Nice Corsair 3200 CL3 RAM)

Unknown PSU

Seagate ATA 250 GB 7200 RPM 16MB cache HD

Nvidia GMX440 64 MB

SB Audigy 2ZS

Runs fine, albeit slower than XP. First OS I've ever paid for, so this is the retail version of Vista I'm running (basic, so I have no clue what "build" it is). No install or running issues whatsoever. No crashes of any sort. I was expecting problems with drivers for my HP 1020 laserjet, but the disc that came with the printer had thenecesary drivers and it prints just fine. Also had no problems with my SB audigy drivers that I had burned to a disc that were for XP. It found them fine too after I ran the .exe file from disc.

A trojan wiped me out a few weeks ago and it was a PITA to get XP running since I didn't exactly get it legally in the first place. It was either buy a new copy of XP or Vista. Can't say I've made a bad choice yet. Not sure why everyonehates it so much. Sure, the little "are you sure you want to access this" popup is annoying, but if it's for the sake of security....

BTW...

Vista experience rank, 1.0 baby! :w00t:

Diggs, May 7, 2007
  19. Jason

hkancyr

AMD 1.2 Ghz XP+ ????

Gigabyte 7VRXP v1.1

300 watt CompUSA cheapo PSU

512 MB PC2700

Nvidia Geforce 3 64MB

Creative 5880 mobo sound

80 Gig

This config doesn't run reliably at all. I upgraded a friend to Vista and suggested he get a few upgraded parts, (that I had laying around.) He went over to CompUSA and got a gig of PC3200 for $70. I replaced a dead 40Gig backup drive with a 120 Gig and a Radeon X800 pro 256MB. Now the PSU needed replacement (frequent crashes, unusual errors after the upgrade.) Dropped in an Antec 400 watt unit and the problems went away. Sound driver had to be tracked down, had to use a old NT driver, but that solves the crackling sound issue.

Vista now runs reliably with all features of Home Premium running, with the processor pegged at 100% a lot. I am going to switch performance settings over to performance rather than looks, today. That should have it running at least as fast as XP used to and probably a bit faster due to the upgrades.

New specs:

AMD 1.2 Ghz XP+ ????

Gigabyte 7VRXP v1.1

400watt Antec

1.5GB PC2700 running at 266Mhz

ATI Radeon X800pro 256MB

Creative 5880 mobo sound

80GB + 120GB

This is probably the low end of acceptable performance for Vista with all the goodies running. Lots of windows not responding alerts, they go away after a few seconds, OK more than a few.

hkancyr, May 9, 2007
  20. Jason

hkancyr

Dell Latitude 510

Shared Video Ram

2GB DDR2 667

pentium M 1.7 Ghz

160GB

This computer runs Vista Home Premium faster than XP Pro!

hkancyr, May 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question