What Windows Vista Runs on

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Jason, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Jason

96 gts

P4 Prescott 2.8GHz, non-hyperthreading, 800MHz FSB

1024MB Kingston PC-3200 RAM

ATi Radeon 9550 256MB AGP, (Aero glass enabled, no problems)

Integrated AC'97 6.1 Audio

160GB Seagate Barracuda running Vista Beta 2, build 5384

80GB Quantum Fireball running XP Pro SP2

Pioneer 52/48/52 CD/DVD burner

Sony 52x CD-ROM Drive

That's about it for all the important stuff. Vista gives me a speed rating of 3, and I don't see any big problems, stuff seems to work just fine.

I haven't tried any games yet however.

The only problem I've found is Windows Media Player stuttering as it buffers a new track, but it seems like everyone has that problem.

96 gts, Jul 28, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

VistaoniMac

My PC: Apple Intel iMac 17", and 1.83GHZ Core Duo CPU.

My OS: Dual-Boot between OS X 10.4.8 and Microsoft Vista RC2 (Build 5744) using Boot Camp Beta 1.1.1 and the Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP disk.

HD: 300GB SATA-2 (Had to add this one, since Apple only offered either a 160GB HD (stock in my machine) or an upgrade to a 250GB.)

Memory configuration: 2GB, in 4x512 mb sticks.

Video: ATI X1600 (Mobility).

Sound: SigmaTel HighDefinition Audio Codec, provided on the Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP disk.It must be extracted from the Macintosh Drivers Disk, then Setup.exe run. I advise running it in XP compatibliy mode, as Administrator.

Display: Built-in 17" display, @1140x900 (both OS X and Vista), plus one 20" Apple Cinema Digital Display @ 1680x1050 (both OS X and Vista). The Cinema display is set up as the primary display in both OS X and Vista.

I have a smoothly-operating dual boot with OS X.

Almost all my Apple hardware works just fine in Vista using the drivers provided either with Vista or on the Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP disk, except the built-in iSight camera (though the microphone works ok) and the Apple Remote.

I am using a MicrosoftDesktop Elite for Bluetoothkeyboard/mouse set rather than the Apple keyboard and mouse (both of which I can't stand). Microsoft Bluetooth seems to work much better when the Bluetooth Radio is inserted into a self-powered USB 2.0 hub. Mineprovides a full500 mA to each device. Evidently, the internal USB ports on both the Apple Digital Display and the System Unit do not provide enough power to maintain a good Bluetooth connection.

With the driver provided on the Macintosh Drivers disk, the Apple Keyboard will work just fine under Vista, including the CD Eject key. This is a plus in my estimation.

A good keyboard to use cross-platform is the "Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard for Mac" desktop set. This one has Mac keys exclusively, including a CD eject key, as well as 5 user-programmable keys, andall necessary media keys. To use it under XP or Vista, set the keyboard type to "Microsoft Comfort Keyboard". If the Microsoft IntelliType Pro 5.5/IntelliPoint 5.5 software is properly installed, all the keys BUT the CD eject key will be available under XP or Vista.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

VistaoniMac, Oct 13, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

wikked

I might have it running on the slowest system :)? (didnt read all 5 pages)

AMD Athlon 900MHz

512MB Ram

Radeon 7500

With my performance tweaks/service disabling, it runs pretty smoothly actually.

I still have the default black visual style on, but most of the other graphic eye candy turned off (animated min/max windows, no wallpaper, etc.)

I don't really notice much lag or slowdown. :D

I can be on Yahoo with FireFox open surfing away, opening Win. Explorer for random things, it's very tolerable :)

If you're interested in the exact times it took to install each step with this slow artifact of a machine, I have detailed details on my site: http://www.wikked.com

wikked, Oct 14, 2006
  4. Jason

Darth Cracker

Windows Vista RC2

AMD Athlon X2 3800 OC'd to 2.03GHz

1 Gig RAM-OCZ Premium Series

Leadtek WinFast PX660 GT TDH GeForce

251 Gb HDD-Maxtor DiamondMax SATA II

ASUS A8N SLI Premium motherboard-nForce4 chipset

Runs awesome! One BSOD which I blame on firing up the webcam (HP) for the first time...no hiccups since Might increase RAM to 2G.

Darth Cracker, Oct 15, 2006
  5. Jason

Bistro

My specs:

Intel Pentium 3.2E

2GB PC-3700 DDR RAM

ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB

Running RC-1

Had a couple of desktop freeze-ups where I had to reboot. Not sure why. I have reinstalled Vista on a Raptor drive...we'll see if that somehow improves things. I noticed that Media Player 11 had a little trouble playing streaming video (would speed it up, freeze, then speed up again. That may be a problem with the buffering. Overall pretty happy with the performance.

Bistro, Oct 18, 2006
  6. Jason

CZA

RC1, but it states BETA 2 Build 5384

Intel Core 2 Dou E6400

2.13 GHz

1066 MHz FSB

2MB L2 Cache

1 GB DDR2 4200 (2x512)

250GB 7200RPM SATA (16MB Cache)

GeForce FX 5200 256MB

Vista runs good for the most part. I noticed that the RAM being used was around 650 MB, and i had nothing running. dwm.exe is taking around 70 MB by itself. I will need more memory to be real happy. I have a cheap MoBo that only allows me to put 2GB of ram. I got the CPU and MoBo for $169 at FRY's.

Im able to open 4 to 5 programs ( IE, Fire Fox, WMP, Photoshop, Inkball,) before the system starts to slow.

CZA, Nov 3, 2006
  7. Jason

kingofnexus

Hardware:

AMD X2 4400+ - oc'ed from 2.2GHz to 2.4GHz

ATI X1900XTX oc'ed 650/1550 to 690/1600

Corsair XMS 4 x 512MB (2GB Total)

Audigy Soundblaster 4

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA 300GB

Hauppauge HVR-1100 Hybrid Analogue/ Digital TV Tuner/Demod

20.1" Monitor 1600x1400 Resolution @ 60Hz 8ms Response Time

Dual Boot:

Partition 1: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

Partition 2: Windows Vista x64 Build RC1

Problems:

No TV card drivers, make shift drivers were allowed in Beta 2 which i used, but disabled in RC1.

ATI drivers for RC1 make vista blue screen on boot up 9/10 times.

Current drivers make my comp score 5564 on 3Dmark 06 using Vista RC1 compared to 6040 score on XP: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=398060

Other than that Vista runs perfect, yet to experience a slow down or bluescreen unrelated to ATI drivers.

kingofnexus, Nov 4, 2006
  8. Jason

ezzagood

hi

4400 amd64 939

aus sli premium

2gig ram

2x sata 2 drives

vista rc1

2x 6600 gt nvidia which vista picks up as 1 card at 512 instead of 256 sli

i have had a few probs with vista slowly working them out , now got a prob with game install

also had a prob with pc cillin which there support has helped

nic

ezzagood, Nov 6, 2006
  9. Jason

Rattletrap

PC Specs:

MSI 975x Power Up Edition Motherboard

Intel e6600 Core 2 Duo Processor

(2) Mushkin 991523 1GB XP2-6400 4-4-3-10

eVGA NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

(2) 68GB SATA Drives on RAID-0

(1) Maxtor 6Y160P0 Hard Drive IDE (Backup Drive)

(1) Lite-On SHM-165H6S DVDRW

Dell 2405FPW Monitor

Windows Vista RC1 Build 5600

So far everything is working just fine. The installation went flawlessly. Some programs don't work (although most of the bigger applications are fine). Just going to take a little while fore all the software guys to get up to speed. I'm very impressed so far.

Rattletrap, Nov 19, 2006
  10. Jason

kingofnexus

Update: I am now using RC2 build 5744 finally!

kingofnexus, Nov 20, 2006
  11. Jason

killer J00

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe

AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.4 Ghz 4800+

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB)

EVGA Nvidia e-GeForce 7950 GX2 1GB

Windows Vista RC1 5600

crashes after the first reboot in installation:crying:

[ran explorer.exe in the comand line and was able to use the desktop for about 3 minutes before getting a bluescreen :Wow:]

killer J00, Dec 10, 2006
  12. Jason

Camride

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 ES Step 5 @ 3.6Ghz

Intel BadAxe 975 MB

OCZ PC2-800 2x1gb

2x250gb Samsung SpinPoint HDs in RAID 0

ATI x1800XL 256mb Vid Card

Samsung Lightscribe DVD-RW

etc...

Running RTM build 6000 with activation crack to use my beta codes. Runs flawless. I'm also running build 6000 on my Dell E1505 laptop which is a Core Duo 1.6Ghz w/ 2gb OCZ RAM and it also runs flawless. I get a 5.7 performance ratingon my desktop and a 3.6 on my laptop(because of my x1400 graphics, otherwise it'd be a 4.3) and they both run Vista perfectly. I'm not using it as my primary OS and have left XP in the dust. I love Vista and can't wait til it gets developed a bit more.

:)

Camride, Dec 11, 2006
  13. Jason

Chone

Pentium 4 3.2GHz
    1GB DDR400 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600SE 128MB

Vista runs pretty good,faster than XPand the interface, while it lags a little bit is still completely usable, full Aero, themes in slideshows refuse to work however, on this ancient machine it runs great even with all the Aero eyecandy.

My MacBook Pro (2.16GHz, 256MB X1600, 1.25GB) completely crushes Vista, its runs very very fast and a LOT LOT faster than XP.

Chone, Dec 18, 2006
  14. Jason

bballs91

AMD Athlon64 4000+

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

Sound Blaster Live!

Build 6000 (RTM)

Works 100%, Aero and everything.

bballs91, Jan 22, 2007
  15. Jason

VistaRocks

Specs:

hp desktop

p4 with ht-3.2ghz

1g ddr2 ram

ATI x800xl gfx

Realtek sound card

19" lcd monitor

VISTA version-RC2 build 5744

So far i have no complaints, everything runs much better than XP with full effects on.Unfortunately i cant afford VISTA right now so ill have to wait till middle of the year.

VistaRocks, Jan 23, 2007
  16. Jason

MafiaLord91

Abit VT7 motherboard

Ati Radeon X1650 512 mb video card

Intel Pentium 4 2.40 ghz processor

2 gigs or Ram

160 gig harddrive

(Will install an 80 gig soon)

40 gig external harddrive for backups

TV tuner card

CD burner

DVD burner

550 watt power supply

20 in LCD monitor

GGE909 game pad

and my new case will be [​IMG]

Windows Vista RC1

(Soon to be Windows Vista Ultimate and XP Professional dual boot)

Only a few with games like Warcraft 3 (I am going to use Windows XP for that game) and the UAC thing is annoying (though thankfully easy to shut off).

MafiaLord91, Jan 24, 2007
  17. Jason

WAW8

--------------------------------------------------------

2.28 GHz AMD Athlon 64 4400+ (overclocked to 2.4 GHz)

1 Gig DDR RAM (PC 3200), 2-2-2-5 OCZ Memory

Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB PCIexpress

Windows Vista RTM, 32-Bit Edition.

--------------------------------------------------------

Runs great -- no problems with slowdown. Could use more memory but I'm reluctant to buy another 1GB of PC-3200 memory when new chipsets/mobos/memory speeds are due out any day now.

Vista starts faster than my XP Pro install, and some apps actually seem to start faster (i.e., Samurize, Speed Fan)

Most WinXP apps work OK, some require WinXP compatibility mode (i.e., Samurize).

Tried ATI Beta video drivers -- crashed the system. Uninstalled them and am using the default Vista drivers. Seem to work OK.

Nero Ultra Edition (V7) actually works better in Vista -- faster and more functionality.

Acronis True Image v10 works in Vista but the built-in partition backup is MUCH faster and seems to work OK.

Couldn't get Epson R220 Printer to work, so installed XP drivers, now works OK -- even prints CDs and shows the Print Monitor (functions others claim don't work).

Major complaint -- major hardware vendors (Epson, HP, Fujitsu, etc) are STILL not distributing Vista-compatible drivers! The volume license versions have been out for MONTHS and these vendors are still providing the same whiny response about "not supporting beta operating systems". It's not beta anymore, guys; it's RTM:)!

WAW8, Jan 28, 2007
  18. Jason

Tha*Lunat!k

Asus A7N8X Deluxe w/ nForce 2 chipset

GeForce FX5950 Ultra 256MB

AMD Athlon 3200+ @ 2.2GHz

1GB Corsair

160GB Western Digital

160GB Western Digital

500GB Maxtor

Emprex CD burner

Emprex DVD burner

Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 w/ Live Drive

Vista Business RTM

Graphics

* Managed to get recent nVidia drivers for Vista up and running by manually installing them; nVidia installer continually told me I was not using Windows Vista and would not proceed with the installation.

* Performance in Counter-Strike 1.6 wasn't stellar. The nVidia drivers seemed almost beta; I guess I was expecting them to perform as well as nVidia drivers always have. The lack of refresh rate overrides made lacking performance even worse.

* Aero looks and runs great and definitely adds some welcome visual pleasantness to navigating a Windows OS.

Audio

* I could get sound working, but it wasn't very superb due to Creative's decision to not produce drivers for 16-bit Live 5.1 cards. From my experience this is a very common card, and I'm disappointed that it doesn't have the full support of the company that made it. Probably their plot to get people to upgrade to their newer and vastly more expensive cards.

* Creative drivers for XP could be installed, though the utilities within Creative's AudioHQ utility didn't work, which made the drivers insufficient since I couldn't select Headphones for primary speaker setup (and thus games had lackluster spatial 3D sound).

Motherboard

* The latest nForce driver set seemed to crash out the Windows DLL Host Processing service, and caused a blue screen when trying to install the GUART driver at one point. Audio drivers installed, though the NVmixer didn't work so I couldn't adjust much other than volume.

* Can't boot from SATA, though it may very well be my motherboard. I can't seem to boot from it on XP either, so I wasn't concerned.

Drives

* CD and DVD burners functioned for reading discs.

* Was able to successfully create audio CDs using WMP11.

* Did not try installing Nero so I don't know if it would have worked for CD or DVD. I'll check in to this.

Network

* For the first week or so my NIC was fine, but then randomly it couldn't detect what kind of card I had. I tried having it find the drivers on the computer yet it claimed that they weren't available. I downloaded the drivers in XP and tried using them in Vista and it stated they weren't compatible with my card, despite being the same ones I had used initially (3Com 3C905B-TX PCI).

* On-board nVidia nForce Networking Controller worked when using the native Vista drivers, but not with the nVidia nForce drivers.

Input

* Wireless keyboard worked fine, nothing special to do there.

* Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer worked with native drivers, yet for some reason if the computer went into hybrid sleep this could not bring it out of it, and when I used the keyboard to bring the computer out of a sleep the mouse would light up yet have no capability until I unplugged and connected it again at the back of the computer.

All in all I enjoy Vista yet I think I will wait until there is more driver compatibility with some of my hardware, or if that doesn't happen I'll eventually upgrade my hardware.

Tha*Lunat!k, Jan 28, 2007
  19. Jason

calhounhusker

Amd Athlon 64 x2 4200

3gb ddr2 800 ram

Ati radeon x800xl

Ive been running RC1 but just recently upgraded to build 6000 RTM. Runs great. Only problem is Nero 7 still doesnt work. MS really needs to fix this issue.

calhounhusker, Feb 1, 2007
  20. Jason

WAW8

OK, so I'm thinking about joining the Vista-really-sucks! community now.

All of my pre-retail release testing appeared to have been a waste of time. My previous posts about SW and HW working under Vista 32-bit have all been invalidated!!! I recently installed Vista Ultimate 32-bit Retail and have discovered that the following stuff that DID work under RTM no longer works:

1) Epson R220 printer. XP drivers no longer load -- Vista kills the installation part way through. Thus, while the printer DOES print, there is no Print Status Monitor. Checked the Epson site, the only R2xx series Vista driver is claimed to already be in Vista. The R220 series printer driver is "still under development". So, unless they FIX the Printer Status Monitor with the R220 drivers, then I'll have to keep XP around just to check the ink levels. (note: this really sucks!!)

2) Turtle Beach Montego DDL card. C-media drivers no long support other than 2-channel mode. Vista automatically updates the driver installation and while the problem in Device Driver now goes away, so does multi-channel sound. The SW allows for the selection of quat, 5.1 and 7.1 sound, but nothing comes out of the side or read outputs on the card. Turtle Beach's response? They're "working on" the drivers. So, this one sucks, too.

I've gone from 95 to 98 to XP to Vista, and in each case, driver support improved. I have to wonder if the HW vendors don't want to provide Vista drivers that work because they really want to force us into buying new Vista-compliant HW? Nah. That couldn't be the case. Could it?

WAW8, Feb 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question