What is up with Vista search?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by ClypsoArt, Mar 1, 2008.

1. ClypsoArt

ClypsoArt

So when I initially tried to search for a file the vista search found absolutely nothing like I'm looking for. I searched for an AutoCAD drawing named "wheel.dwg. I typed in "wheel" and I got results of files names like:

Goldenrod pgs.pdf

xnview.ini

Tinker.doc

As you can see, these have no relation to "wheel". No matter what parameters I change Vista cannot find what I'm looking for. Of Course I believe this must be some configuration problem, but I cannot figure out what is wrong. (I am quite compuer literate) I'm sure it has to be something that is switched off. I re-indexed the files, and played with all the adjusable parameters and the search still sucks.

I tried looking for file "acad.pat" Vista search found lots of files with some sort of match. I narrowed the search and it found less. I used the "*.pat" wild card and it found two .pat files niether of which I was looking for. Should'nt this wild card find ALL .pat files?

At any rate, I ended up going to the Acad net forums to find out the actual path to the file and then browse to it using File Explorer. 30 mins wasted to find one file.

Someone here must be able to tell me what is the switch that enables Vista to find ALL the files in a computer.

As the only person in my office not on a Mac (because of Autocad) I am a little tired of everyone laughing.

ClypsoArt, Mar 1, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. ClypsoArt

WAW8

WAW8, Mar 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. ClypsoArt

ClypsoArt

I cannot believe this, and I have been unable to get an answer from any one. I have a folder on my desktop with another folder "container" within that folder is a file "container.skp. A search using VISTA cannot find the folder or file--no matter what options I change. This is un$#&%$&(^^%%*&ing believable. I am not computer illiterate! #%^&^** but the Vista sure makes me feel so.

ClypsoArt, Mar 11, 2008
  4. ClypsoArt

WAW8

Actually, I already gave you some info ... but to continue ...

Where are you doing the search? In the Start menu text entry box? Or in Windows Explorer?

If the latter, you should have noticed that it says "Search results in current view" in the upper left, meaning that if the folder containing the file is not inside that view on the left, Vista will not find it. To search your entire computer, select "Computer" in the lower-left panel. That will search all drives.

WAW8, Mar 11, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question