What is Aero Glass? What are the Requirments?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Jason, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Jason

Jason

Q: What is Aero Glass and how can I get it?

A: Windows Vista has a new User Interface (UI) called Aero, and if your system meets certain high-end graphics requirements, you get Aero Glass. In Aero Glass, elements of the windows are translucent, and dialog boxes open in an expanding fashion, starting off small and growing larger as if approaching.

Figure 1 shows an Aero Glass interface; figure 2 shows a simple Aero interface.

http://img.microsoft.com/library/me...outtn/subscriptions/flash/aeroglassdialog.jpg

Figure 2

http://img.microsoft.com/library/me...s/abouttn/subscriptions/flash/aeronoglass.jpg

You can also see in Figure 1 that the minimize, maximize, and close window buttons glow when the cursor hovers over them. Aero Glass is far more graphics intensive than standard Aero, and, in Microsoft's words, is the "full-fidelity Longhorn [now Vista] experience." Users with hardware that can't run even standard Aero can use a classic style UI that emulates the Windows 2000 UI.

To run Aero Glass, your graphics card must have a Longhorn Display Driver Model (LDDM). NVIDIA offers a Vista Beta 1 LDDM driver, and ATI also has LDDM drivers available. To get the full Vista experience, the graphics card needs a lot of memory (64MB minimum, 128MB recommended) and must support the complete DirectX 9 API.

Jason, Dec 11, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

crish

Hi,

I came across this forum while surfing for Aero Glass effect in Vista. Its great that VistaForums.com exclusive for Vista. Good work.

I need info about developing a windows forms that uses Aero Glass concept. I've got the drivers installed.

Any sample code that reflects the procedure to realize Aero Glass experiance in windows forms.

Can I extend the glass effect to be more than just the title (coming down to X pixels)...

Awaiting reply.

Thanks in advance.

crish, Mar 6, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

Jason

4. Jason

crish

Thanks for the information.

The link discusses about "Resolution - Independent" behaviour of WPF. Could you please let me know how can I achieve this functionality. Any sample code would be greatly helpful....

crish, Mar 6, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question