What causes BootMGR is missing error?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Aikola, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Aikola

Aikola

I was just wondering if someone could explain me what causes the BOOTMGR is missing press ctrl alt del to restart error. I have been having this error many times lately and it always seems to fix with the install dvd and startup repair but then it appears again in a few days. Now if i knew what was causing it i might be able to get rid of it once and for all by killing the underline cause.

Aikola, Feb 23, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Aikola

WAW8

There are a couple of different possible causes ...

1) Infection. Possible that some form of malware (i.e., virus, worm, etc) is wiping some or part of the boot loader files at some interval. Would need to run a thorough scan with one of the better Antivirus products to look for this. Suggest Kasperskey, Norton AV 2009, ESET NOD32. Don't rely on freeware AV products or Windows Defender.

2) Bad sectors on your drive. Hard Drives do fail over time. If some or all of the bootloader files got written to an area of the drive that is now failing, that would have this symptom. Next time you boot, press F8 to get into Safe mode, and startup in command mode, running "chkdsk /f" to do a file error check on the drive. Would run it a couple of times.

WAW8, Feb 24, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Aikola

hansa

hansa, May 21, 2016
  4. Aikola

Jamie White

I don't know.

Jamie White, Jun 17, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question