what antivirus do you use

Discussion in 'Security' started by allanb, Aug 19, 2006.

1. allanb

Jpardue

kaspersky here, good on resources like avg

Jpardue, Feb 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. allanb

cyclic

I use and have installed Grisoft's free AVG on every PC I've either built or serviced in the last few years, to my knowledge non has ever been infected with a virus other than one dippy person who despite my advice to the contrary removed AVG and installed Norton instead, it took less than 2 weeks for her system to grind to a halt, blasted Norton back where it came from eveything happy smiley again.

cyclic, Mar 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. allanb

Jason

Does the free AVG offer scheduled scans, and automatic updates? If so I may switch over, but pc-cillin does offer a nice spyware/virus combo scan.

Jason, Mar 15, 2007
  4. allanb

AFTERshock68

Yea I use AVG, free, efficient, fast, and of course, free (I like that)

I also use spybot, adaware, and spywaredefender...

AFTERshock68, Mar 18, 2007
  5. allanb

redecs

I'm using Kaspersky. Although I had some issues with the instalation, works great now (6.0.2.614).

redecs, Mar 20, 2007
  6. allanb

quickshade

I am trying out bitdefender 10 and have to say it's one of the best programs I used. Although it will cost me about 60 bucks it's really nice. The setup was really fast and they go though a step by step guide for setup of your firewall and stuff. You can scan a whole bunch of things (deep scan, rootkey scan, memory scan) and they are pretty fast (I have 160GB with 50 full) took about an hour and a half. Compared to kaspersky which took 9 hours!!!! antispam works well but I don't use it much. Antispyware is great and caught a couple I didn't know i had. It updates easily enough and of course has some pretty cool options. Parental controls if you need them. Ram usage is nothing when program is idle and same for C.P.U usage. When doing a full scan memory jumps about 4% and C.P.U usage jumps around a little (normal) but I would recommend it to anyone. Plus it works extremely nicly with vista and doesn't care much about UAC and other things like Kaspersky and Zonealarm beta. Overall it's a great program and does everything I need it to do. It's got a cost of 50 bucks but seems worth it to me.

quickshade, Apr 1, 2007
  7. allanb

Titch

I have tried them all (well most of them) over the last 10 years.

Norton is good at what it does but in the past hasn't been very efficient at it(system hungry) but symantic are trying to improve in this area.

NOD and Kaspersky are 2 others that have always been very highly rated andare efficient at whatthey do. Although I moved away from Kazpersky after version 6 as it started to feel a bit bloated.

Windows One Care has been knocked recently and if what is being said is true then it is not to be trusted for the moment (read this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6418965.stm)

AntiVir, Mcafeeand etrust have all been poor performers for me (I have picked up virus while using all of them) AVG is another that caused me problems but has supposed to have gotten alot better. Stay well clear of AntiVir!!

I currently use AVAST and have done so on both 32 and 64bit editions of Vista it is free and is probably the only free one I would truly recommend.

Don't think for a minute that you are safe without Antivirus on Vista. That has been proven this week with the discovery of the first vulnerability in Vista. I can ensure you that NO operating system is completely secure and it is only a matter of time before more vulnerabilities are found and code writers find ways around Vista's security features.

People that use Apple and Linux systems beleive they have systems that are invulnerable to attack, they are extremly arrogant and short sighted to believe this. You would be to if you thought Windows was invulnerable too!!! Only when windows usersare minority on the scale of linux will the attacks stop.

Titch, Apr 6, 2007
  8. allanb

Vester

NOD32

Vester, Apr 6, 2007
  9. allanb

Quiksilver

Avast 4.7 Running here - So far so good!

Quiksilver, Apr 22, 2007
  10. allanb

Walker

Avast here.

Walker, Apr 22, 2007
  11. allanb

quickshade

well bit defender (after 30 day trial) got a little slow and started hurting my PC performance. Right now I'm using Zone alarm beta. Very good so far. I'll report back when I have more.

quickshade, Jun 10, 2007
  12. allanb

Mattyspurs

Ive tried allsorts over the years, my fav. Kaspersky which ive got on XP.

But im new to Vista, only installed it last night.

Having a look round to see whats compatable with Vista 1st.

Not to keen on Avast, id rather have AVG but at the moment ive got Microsofts OneCare.

Its now got the 100% Rating it needs. (someone posted earlier about it been no good)

Its been updated and passed with flying colours.

Ill try it for the 120days then ill probably go with my old trusted combo of Zonealarm Firewall,Kaspersky. But Zone alarm isnt ready for Vista yet so im having to wait n look elsewhere

Mattyspurs, Jun 14, 2007
  13. allanb

astala"vista"

I am using Kaspersky Internet Security v 7.0 which has the anti-virus built in :) and I have never been into attacks with Kaspersky + Windows Firewall turned on + Windows Defender :)

astala"vista", Sep 1, 2007
  14. allanb

MrMagic

I am using Norton 360, 3 pack on Vista and two XP machines, I also use MS OneCare on 2 XP machines.

I have had no problems with either but I actually prefer Norton 360. As compared to lots of other versions of Symantec products I've run over the years, 360 appears to put far less load on the system and seems to be pretty effective.

I have no complaints about either one, except of course for the fact that they aren't' free!

Steve

MrMagic, Sep 1, 2007
  15. allanb

AmericanNightmare

Avast hands down free,effective and lightweight. Kapersky and 360 both are absolute system hogs in comparison.

AmericanNightmare, Sep 1, 2007
  16. allanb

cyclic

I still use Grisoft AVG, it is unsurpassed in detection of any other, updates more frequently and causes no conflicts or system errors, unlike Norton's stuff which is as near being 'system take over'-ware as it's possible to get.

I agree Avast is also very good, I have used it on some machines as a users preference, if they have no preference I install AVG and have almost no complaints or virus problems from peeps I have built for, apart from one recently which I couldn't understand until I got my hands on it, some one had told him AVG was crap (had to be because it was free!) so he removed it and installed..............yep, Norton system works or whatever, he had virus, trojans and other stuff aplenty and after a wipe and reinstall, wasn't worth the time and effort of cleaning up, he asked me to put AVG in, which I did, he phones me regularly to let me know how virus free he's been since.

Obviously these are my personal experiences and I don't put down or belitle anyone using what in their experience is good for them, if it does what you want it to, then it's gotta be right......right ? [​IMG]

cyclic, Sep 2, 2007
  17. allanb

MrMagic

I've been wanting to take a look at this, willing to try it. Do you have a URL where it can be found?

Tnx

Steve

MrMagic, Sep 2, 2007
  18. allanb

AmericanNightmare

AmericanNightmare, Sep 2, 2007
  19. allanb

Spork

Not using antivirus is an extremely bad idea. It's highly likely that you're already infected. Your machine could already be part of a botnet under control of somebody else, and you'd never know. Install some antivirus asap.

NOD32 is a good lightweight solution, although it's not free. Avast is pretty good if you don't want to pay.

Spork, Oct 21, 2007
  20. allanb

eastley

I hate avast, I think the interface is so crap!!!

Seriously, I hate all Antivirus as none of them have a good interface or the features are poor, the good ones with these things end up being the poorest virus checker in tests, they just look good.

eastley, Oct 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question