Weird Vista internet connection problem

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by theburb, Sep 10, 2006.

1. theburb

theburb

I am having a problem connecting to the internet with Vista RC1 (5600). I can connect to some sites, but not all. I cannot connect to www.google.com, yet I can connect to www.yahoo.com. I can connect to www.microsoft.com, yetI cannot connect to msdn.microsoft.com. How weird is that?

I have tried everything. I am pretty sure this is NOT a hardware problem. I successfully ran Beta 2 (5384), but I noticed this problem when running build 5536. I switched to RC1 before I had a chance to try and fix it with 5536 (was testing other app compatibilty and internet was not a priority). I don't remember if it was an issue with build 5472, but I don't think so.

Has anyone had weird intermittent connection issues that are limited to certain sites.

BTW... I have no problem connecting to the internet in XP (dual boot through two hard drives).

Please help!

theburb, Sep 10, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. theburb

Aiddy

Aiddy, Sep 11, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. theburb

theburb

I tried disconnecting my linksys router and connecting directly to my cable modem. I still get the same results. A little more digging and it seems that Yahoo is very slow past its main page. Also, when directly connected to my modem going to msdn.microsoft.com landed me are Live Search searching for that. Really weird.

I have heard of disabling IPv6 from the command line... but don't know how to do that. Any one know?

theburb, Sep 11, 2006
  4. theburb

wayne64ss

I am having this problem also, but its only when connected to certain networks. like my home network works fine, the hotel one fine. but then when i get to the dealer im working at, i cannot load this page for example or ANYTHING that has to be downloaded won't work either. the only thing that will come up is a few sites i commonly visit and msdn, google, and microsoft, but even that takes awhile. Also i have noticed i cannot connect to the hotel wireless when im in the pool, and my buddy (exact same laptop but xp pro) can connect right next to me..... interesting to say the least.... i would love to get to the bottom of this. I have tried disabling the ip6 protocol while on the networks that barely function and no luck, im unsure of what to do. any help would be appretiated. btw im running 5536.

wayne64ss, Sep 12, 2006
  5. theburb

doghucat

Do yoou have the plishing filter on, plus do you let Ie check for a solution to the problem i used to have the same problem but it went away either bacause I would send the report or that I went and enabled the true administrate account and have used that since day one.

doghucat, Sep 12, 2006
  6. theburb

wayne64ss

how would i enable the true administrator account???? I will try that because it only seems to happen on WEP networks.... also on my wired connection at the dealer as well... i have never runa wired connection at home or at the hotel so i couldn't tell ya what happens there.

wayne64ss, Sep 13, 2006
  7. theburb

wayne64ss

please note - i am not using UAC, my phishing filter is DISABLED and my account is set up as administrator. any other tips??

wayne64ss, Sep 13, 2006
  8. theburb

wayne64ss

set up and used the actual administrator account via instructions provided by search. THIS DID NOT FIX my problem. I believe my prblem lies in the network card drivers or a protocol somewhere. Any information is appretiated and thank you for the idea to try but unfortunately it didn't work.

wayne64ss, Sep 13, 2006
  9. theburb

theburb

I believe I do have the Phishing filter on. I tried turning off the firewall, but not the Phishing. I will have to try that.

I did decide to confim something. I reinstalled the July CTP (build 5472) and it's internet connection works perfectly... and fast too.

I will reinstall RC1 and try the phishing thing. I will also have to try the administrator thing. I will have to search for how to do that... unless someone wants to make that easy and add to this thread the information on how to run as the one true administrator.

Thanks all.

theburb, Sep 13, 2006
  10. theburb

wayne64ss

don't bother it doesnt work

wayne64ss, Sep 13, 2006
  11. theburb

Aiddy

I think you're correct with regards the NIC drivers, I read in other posts about an issue with the Marvel Yukon driver. I have an ASUS A8n-SLi deluxe mobo which has this NIC as well as an nVidia one, I swapped the internet from Marvel Yukon to nVidia, returned all my settings to default,and all my problems were solved...

Aiddy, Sep 14, 2006
  12. theburb

theburb

I have read too in other forums that this could be a driver problem. I reloaded RC1 this morning and turned off Phishing. It did not help. I have a ASUS K8V-X motherboard that apparently has Yukon/Marvel ethernet on it. I have heard that getting drivers from Yukon will work. I will try that this weekend and report the results back here.

theburb, Sep 15, 2006
  13. theburb

RKramden

This is a reply I saw on the Microsoft TechNet Forums. So far it seems to work...

1. Go to Start -- Run and type "devmgmt.msc" without quotes.

2. Expand Network Adapters

3. Right Click the Marvell device and go to properties.

4. Click on the advanced tab.

5. Select IPv4 Checksum Offload and set the Value to Disabled.

6. Hit ok and enjoy!

Hope this helps

RKramden, Sep 15, 2006
  14. theburb

theburb

I got Vista RC1 (build 5600) working with the Internet. As you recall (from below) I was able to connect to some sites but not others. And the behavior was completely repeatable.

The solution was a setting in the configuration of the network adapter (built on to my ASUS motherboard). Here is how I fixed it (all credit goes to Rob Sydor):<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Click on Start orb
    Right-click on Computer
    Click on Manage
    Click Continue
    Select Device Manager on the left
    Expand Network adapters on the right
    Right-click the network adapter
    Click on Properties
    Click on Advanced
    Select TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) on the left
    Set value to Disabled
    Click OK, and clock the Device Manager
    </BLOCKQUOTE>

All was working, without even rebooting. The screen flickered a couple of time as it processed this information and when I ran IE it went immediately to Microsoft Live.

All this was with the 64-bit version of Windows Vista RC1. I did not need new drivers. I am going to try installing the 32-bit version of Vista RC1. I am curious to see the performance difference, though it will be hard to tell without some kind of benchmark between the two since I can't have both running at the same time.

theburb, Sep 16, 2006
  15. theburb

theburb

I installed the x86 (32-bit) version of Vista RC1 and it has the same issue. I was able to solve it both by doing the TCP Checksum steps above, and by installing the 9.10.2.2 Marvell drivers.

Thanks to all for helping me out with this issue.

theburb, Sep 17, 2006
  16. theburb

nimbus93

Hi,

Having same troubles with DELL Precision 380 / Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx but haven't any IPV4 Checksum Offload option in Device properties ?!?

I had this trouble with Beta2 and now I have this trouble with RC1.

Help please

nimbus93, Sep 19, 2006
  17. theburb

wutangz

on a NFORCE4 motherboard, i disabled interrupt moderation in my network card properties and the issues of some website cannot be displayed on vista has disappeared.. sigh finally.. sigh vista...

(i could access google.ca but not microsoft.com.. etc etc..)

i certainly hope it will help alot of people

wutangz, Apr 27, 2007
  18. theburb

uwftke26

To those who are experiencing this problem, does the page simply load as a white screen? everything in firefox for me loads as just a blank screen, although the status bar in the bottom left says "Done."

uwftke26, Apr 30, 2007
  19. theburb

slinky005

I feel like I have seen an oasis in the desert!

I have had an intermittent internet connection in a new vista machine as well and spent many hours with tech support people who have no clue.

The OS is Vista Home basic.

I am investigating this on my Dad's behalf. Unfortunately I am not in front of the machine in question but have a vista machine with Home premium. Iapologize in that I cannot be in front of the problem machine as I pose my question but right now it's the only way for me to help my Dad.

My question: I am trying to accomplish :Select IPv4 Checksum Offload and set the Value to Disabled ,this was described in an earlier post.

When I look at my Vista Home premiummachine (the machine not in question) and go to the network adapter, IPv4 checksum is not an option. Does option come up regardless of the type of internet connection?

Is there something else to look for instead? The problem machine is using Broadband where the machine in front of me is using cable and is wireless. Is this relevant?

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

Steve

slinky005, Sep 18, 2007
  20. theburb

therosntl

I believe I have the same problem here: wireless connected to internet but can browse web. and wired computer works and so on.

I used xp before yesterday, and I had the same problem. the funny thing is that because last time when I used xp I got virus and I reinstalled the OS. both times, I FIXED the problem with .net framework 2.0 in MS website. i installed vista ultimate 32bit version yesterday and the problem came back again. I tried .net framework 2.0 but of course it is included in vista already. then i tried .net framework 3.5 but thats no help for the internet. then I send a request for the hotfix on internet connection sharing error when the ICS is enabled, installed it and found that my ICS was already disabled, so it wont matter.

at last I came to this site and I disabled the two things today but I will need some time to see whether it works or not.

after some research on this topic, some people updated their driver of networking devices and it works for them, intel wireless or the marvell yukon thing

So bottom line, xp has the same problem for some people too, maybe not as much though. and i will update later to see if that works...............or not

therosntl, Dec 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question