Weird lockup problems, running out of ideas

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by eldee, Nov 19, 2007.

1. eldee

eldee

So I just upgraded to vista ultimate on my media center, and I love the new media center so I'm trying really hard to make everything work.. but Vista keeps locking up on me! It's actually really easy to reproduce the error I'm getting, as I can only watch TV for about an hour before the whole system freezes (no black screen or anything, it literally freezes right where it's at). The event log and reliability monitor doesn't tell me anything useful, just "computer was not shut down properly" because I have to hard-reboot the machine after it freezes. Another way I found to freeze my computer is to turn on the Magnifier. After about a minute or so with the magnifier up and running, the system will freeze.. so that made me think it's a video card problem.

My thought was a driver issue.. I made sure to upgrade the latest vista 32-bit driver for my video card (ATI Radio 9500 pro, tried a Radeon 9600 all-in-wonder and had the same problem). Same problem. I ran a check-disk on my Hard Drive and it passed, memory is brand new but I tested it anyway.. it also passed. I'm not sure what else to do! Any ideas to try would be great.. thanks in advance.

Here are my system specs:

Asus P4S800-X with a 2.8 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 (with hyperthreading)

2GB of DDR400 RAM

500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

SB Audigy 2 sound card

Hauppage Tuner card

ATI Radeon 9500 Pro

It's also worth noting that the above system worked flawlessly in MCE 2005, and if push comes to shove I'll have to return vista and downgrade to XP again, but the upgrades in Vista's Media Center are worth the effort if I can get this working

eldee, Nov 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. eldee

cyclic

It could be the garphics card dur to overheating which causes freezing, sounds a little trite I know but that's what happens, especially if the freeze comes at approx. the same running time or using more graphics power, like maginfication. It may not have done this before with XP byr Vista uses more graphics resources to start with, I would suggest 2 things, first to ensure you PSU is suplying enough power to the card and second and nore likely the cure is to add better cooling to the box, you should have a minimum of one fan bottom front drawing cool air in and a second just above and behind the CPY pulling warm exhaust air out. Often this isn't enough with modern systems you mau need to add a fan blowing in from the side at about the spot where the card is. If you notice most modern cases have these mounts for those fans and even go as far as providing an air tunnel so you get the cool air to exactly the right place.

cyclic, Nov 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. eldee

kingofnexus

Completely reinstalling windows if nothingcyclic suggestsworks is the last thing to try before going back to XP.

kingofnexus, Nov 19, 2007
  4. eldee

WAW8

I haven't used magnifier before, but when I enabled it, my CPU was pegged at 30%+, and when I moved the mouse, it went up to 90%+. I'm using a laptop right now, and the CPU cooling fan is running the whole time Magnifier is enabled. As soon as I shut off Magnifier, the fan stopped and the CPU utilization dropped back to 10%+.

If your system uses a similar resource load with magnifier turned on, that could certainly contribute to a heat-related problem -- and that could lock up your system.

Also, do you have the latest drivers installed for your TV card? The happauge site has downloads for lots of Vista drivers.

WAW8, Nov 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question