Weird lines appearing on my screen

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by hashabasha, Apr 23, 2007.

1. hashabasha

hashabasha

Hello!

I got Vista a couple of weeks ago, and I've been having this problem ever since. I first discovered it when I woke up the computer from sleep mode. The screen was filled with horizontal lines, usually in the same colour as my background image. The only working solution was to restart my computer. I thought that I could avoid this rather irritating problem by disabling sleep mode.

Sadly, it occurs other places aswell. Some examples are when I try to switch users, enter certain games or simply going to the task manager. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough. Now, the strange thing here is that it's not random. It only happens when I do certain things, like entering games. Not all games, however. I am perfectly able to play Oblivion without this problem. But F.E.A.R, Double Agent and Neverwinter Nights 2 all have this problem...

I've downloaded the latest drivers for my graphic card, and updated my BIOS. I do get a random blue screen once in a while which states that my BIOS isn't fully ACPI compatible, but I got this even after updating my BIOS. I've also tried to download all the drivers I could find at Asus' homepage without luck. I've checked my memory without finding any failures, and I doubt my graphic card is overheated (I've felt it, and it doesn't seem overheated at all).

So, do anyone have any idea on how I could possibly solve this annoying problem?

My system specs:

AMD Athlon 3800+ 2.0 GHz

2 GB RAM

NVidia GeForce 7900 GT 256 MB

Asus M2N32-SliDeluxe

Sincerely

~hashabasha (please excuse my poor writing)

hashabasha, Apr 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. hashabasha

Jason

Your video card does not support directX 10 only the geforce 8800 or above do. You need DirectX10 support for vista. I suggest investing in a new card.

Jason, Apr 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. hashabasha

Walker

Jason i doubt that is the problem as Vista has in it's req's that it needs a DX 9.0 card. Also both my ATI cards are fine. But i don't know about nVidia. last time i had such problems was a GeForce card.

Anyhow make sure you have newest drivers. Otherwise it's either faulty hardware or a problem with the fan.

Walker, Apr 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question