Weird Laptop problem

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Something706, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Something706

Something706

Well, recently my laptop has been acting very strange. I'm not sure if it's a Vista display setting that I'm having problems with or the Dell laptop itself.

The problem is that I'll shut my laptop and the screen will go off, as normal. However, I'll walk away and about an hour later come back to see the screen glowing while it's still closed. Well it was making me angry for a while, but not so much until this morning. I opened my display after noticing it was on while shut yet again, and the screen was just ribbons of mixed colors (looked like my background image turned into ribbons) and the computer was completely locked up. Couldn't do anything to it.

So yea, if anyone knows what to do I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks guys

Something706, Nov 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Something706

Alejandrosv

doesn't sound like a software problem... have you tried contacting dell?

The corrupted image may be due to your graphic card overheating... wich makes sence if the computer turned on,in a closed space without room for ventilation(for example a bag or some case where you store your laptop). When you shut your laptop, check if there is some kind of button sensing if the lid is down and check if it is working properly. But do contact dellabout it.

You should also try manually turning your computer off from the windows start menu, this way it won't turn back on if the lid is open (or the computer doesn't detect that it's closed).

Alejandrosv, Nov 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Something706

kingofnexus

My computer (desktop) will sometime wake itself up from sleep. Sometimes when it does this I get a screen which looks like a load of furry rectangles having a spaz attack. Restarting the comp vista tell me its due to graphics drivers. Is this scenario simaler to yours or was it not fuzzy rectangles (you say ribbons but i'm not sure what that would look like).

Contact Dell about it for sure.

kingofnexus, Nov 7, 2007
  4. Something706

Something706

@ Alejandro:

I'm trying to just leave my laptop open and have the display just turn off (I don't have it set to go to sleep unless it's on the battery) You do have me curious if it was an overheating problem. However, that particular thing with the ribbons of crap only happened once, so the screen turning on isn't related to overheating. At least I don't think so. I will probably contact Dell about it if it continues. It might be the switch that's supposed to tell the laptop that it is closed, and I actually kinda hope that's all it is.

@kingofnexus

By "ribbons" I meant the colors of my background squished into a rectangle about 2 inches high and ran all the way across my screen. They repeated all the way down as well. My drivers are all up-to-date, so I don't know why the drivers would have anything to do with it. Also, Vista did not give me an error message upon reboot. I found it really odd because it didn't even tell me that Windows did not shut down properly, nor did it give me the options to start in safe mode or normal mode. It just booted up normally...

Damn weird technology haha

Something706, Nov 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question