Webcam Not Working On Vista RC1

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by LoWRid3r, Oct 15, 2006.

1. LoWRid3r

LoWRid3r

Hey guys,

I've been trying to get my webcam working now for days and had no luck. Id say its something to do with a Driver issue. But it says its installed properly as "USB PC Camera(SN9C120)"

Its a Wise PCUSB Webcam with LED's (pic below)

[​IMG]

Anyway when I install it it installs fine, but when i try to set it up in MSN Live Messenger, its just a blank black image. I get no still or moving picture at all.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to fix this besides having to use a previous Operating System becoz it worked fine on Windows XP before I installed Vista. And I dont wanna go back to using XP coz Vista is mad.

Any help would be much appreciated thankyou :)

LoWRid3r, Oct 15, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. LoWRid3r

wikked

Have you tried running MSN Messenger in Win XP compatibility mode?

If you don't know how...

Right-click the MSN shortcut, click properties, then the Compatibility tab, you'll see it.

wikked, Oct 15, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. LoWRid3r

Darth Cracker

Are you able to upgrade to RC2? I had a similar issue wuth my HP webcam (driver wouldn't install) but was fixed once I installed RC2.

Darth Cracker, Oct 15, 2006
  4. LoWRid3r

LoWRid3r

Hey man I tried that but I have no compatibility tab. Where would I find it it?

That may also explain why my MSN keeps shutting down all the time while im in the middle of using it, fr no good reason at all. Just a box pops up saying Messenger has stopped working. I dunno.

Also if I install RC2 thats like a fresh copy right? Or can u upgrade and still keep same programs and files and will it fix the problem do you think? Its not the fact that the driver isnt working, it says its working, its just showing blank, so I guess that means it detects the drivers is working but ot aint really? mmm i dunno :S

LoWRid3r, Oct 15, 2006
  5. LoWRid3r

Darth Cracker

You can upgrade to RC2 on top of your current version.Run setup from within your current version of Vista, you will be asked if you want to do a clean install or upgrade. Choose upgrade and it will install RC2 on top of your current version of Vista. I tried that way and got constant BSOD's,though. I think a clean install is the way to go...unless you have a lot of programs you would need to reinstall. But I really don't know if that will fix your webcam...the driver on mine wouldn't even install and yours did.

Darth Cracker, Oct 16, 2006
  6. LoWRid3r

LoWRid3r

Hmmm yeh I dun really wanna upgrade to RC2 yet, have alot of stuff installed which I dun wanna go through with doing again. Plus I dont think that will fix my problem

The Webcam is installing but not with the correct drivers for Vista, i dont think. I tried it on my mates laptop, he is running XP still and it installed as PC Camera 168, using the drivers CD I have.

Now when it finds the hardware when I plug it in, it installs as some PC Camera (SN9C120). This being the defualt from Windows Update in Vista.

Now I go to update the driver, then click Locate on my computer, I click browseto install off the driverCD D:/168 folder, and it says Windows cannot perform this operation as there is not enough storage space. Please see your driver manufacterer on how to update this driver.

I mean WTF? How is there not enough storage space? Storage space for what? I have a 320GIG hard drive which only 240 Gig is still free. I dont get it, can someone plz help me get around this, I just need to install that drive off the disk, there has got to be a way.

LoWRid3r, Oct 16, 2006
  7. LoWRid3r

Darth Cracker

Well, I have a couple more suggestions, then I'm fresh out of ideas. Have you tried using a different driver? I think an option when installing drivers is to choose a driver from a list that comes with Vista. A buddy of mine had an issue with his webcam driver not working. He tried using ones that came with Vista, and one ended up working. Also, you could try copying the folder with the drivers off the CD onto your computer, then point Vista to the file on the computer, not the CD.That is all I can think of trying right now. Hope something works.

Darth Cracker, Oct 17, 2006
  8. LoWRid3r

LoWRid3r

Nah man still no good aye. Tried copying the folder onto the computer then pointing to the folder on C: , still no good. Pops up the same message saying cannot perform because of insufficient storage space, which is a load of bullshit.

What you mean by ur mate tried using the ones that came with Vista? Is there more than one? Coz its when it installs automatically it just downloads the PC Camera (SN9C120) from windows update and installs it. :S

Is there any others I could try? Can someone plz offer me anymore ideas? Coz this is eally shitting me off now.

LoWRid3r, Oct 20, 2006
  9. LoWRid3r

wab6

hi guys

i have the same problem as the original poster of this thread

please can anyone help me and tell me if there is a way to

get my webcam working on vista?

wab6, Oct 26, 2006
  10. LoWRid3r

LoWRid3r

Wab6 do you have the same webcam and are using the same drivers?

Im really over it hey, i gave up on it, doesnt look like anyone has any answers so I think Im just gonna sell it to my mate who has XP and just by a new one that will be supported by the Vista drivers, im over it :crazy:

LoWRid3r, Oct 29, 2006
  11. LoWRid3r

wab6

yes lowrider :(

i have exactly the same problem as you

the thing is that even if i do sell it, the new ones that i buy will give me the same problem

looks like nothing is compatible with vista...

i cant even contact the manufacturer of this camera since i dont know who they are :(

wab6, Nov 2, 2006
  12. LoWRid3r

wheatley000

I had a similar problem to this... Vista installed my webcam with the SN9C120 driver... however, all I could see was a black screen.

I did a driver update (from the device manager) and windows found a new driver - HP Basic Starter Camera - which seems to be compatible.

I can now use my web cam properly.

If you can't get Vista to update automatically, then search google for the driver named above.

Hope that helps!

wheatley000, Jul 22, 2007
  13. LoWRid3r

kingofnexus

Yes mots problems like this are solved with new drivers.

Moved to beta technical support as original problem was RC1 based.

kingofnexus, Jul 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question