Web pages no longer displayed - Help

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by bugmenot123, Aug 25, 2009.

1. bugmenot123

bugmenot123

Hi, I've been asked to take a look at a friends PC for them as the Internet stopped working a couple of weeks ago. So far I've not had much luck. Here's the details:

Friend said they installed Google Earth around the time webpages stopped loading. Also, they said they might have installed an anti virus program (of which I'm unable to find, so don't know how far they got).

What I've done so far:

Checked the Connection details were OK.

Uninstalled Google Earth and any associated program that may have come with it.

I couldn't find any kind of anti virus software apart from what originally came with the machine so I haven't touched this (This is Norton Anti Virus by the way).

System restored to a couple of months ago when it was definatly working (That was the earliest restore point). Restore was successful but the problem persisted.

Been through Vista Help documents of which one said to try start the computer in safe mode with networking which I did and actually managed to get webpages displaying OK. From this the docs say I might have a software conflict, so I've disabled all non microsoft programs in the startup (msconfig) and done the same with processes. No luck though.

I've also taken a look at the system devices where I have found under network adapters something called 6T04 adapter (which I believe to be something to do with IPv6 packets) which had a yellow triangle under it and about 15 reoccurances underneath. I've tried updating them, but Vista says I have the most up to date drivers already installed.

The browser simply says webpage cannot be displayed... I've tried the link to diagnose network problems but the results came back stating that no problem was found.

Finally I've tried unticking the IPv6 checkbox under the connection properties, leaving the IPv4 on but to no avail.

Any ideas would be great,

Thanks,

bugmenot123, Aug 25, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. bugmenot123

WAW8

THIS is most certainly the culprit. There's a bunch of malware programs that pretend to be antivirus programs. If your friend got their's for free, I would bet that's the problem.

Without know which one they have, it's going to be next to impossible to remove it.

Your best bet is to do a System Restore to a date before the installation of Google Earth. I'm certain that Google Earth is NOT the problem, as I recently installed it on my machine and have encountered no ill effects of any kind.

If there's no restore point, then look through the Program Files directories for recent installations. If you find anything, then Google for the files found. That will help you isolate the malware and help you find out how to remove it.

And, when you're done, emphasize to your friend the importance of NOT installing software from the internet, especially Free software.

WAW8, Aug 25, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question