WD Passport No Longer Working

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by runboston, Mar 11, 2008.

1. runboston

runboston

Update: if you recall the drive has been reformatted on my XP machine in NTFS. So it's a clean drive (NTFS) and it works on two XP machines and another machine running Vista.

runboston, Mar 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. runboston

runboston

Update: editing a keymy registry from this location, [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders] got rid of the 1327 error thatI was running into. For some reason by 'Pictures' directory was mapped to the K drive, which simply was not correct. So, I changed it back to the correct location and I was able to install the WD Diagnostic software that shipped with the Passport, but as the story goes, the drive is still not work.

RunBoston

runboston, Mar 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. runboston

WAW8

If I understand your situation at present -- the Passport, which has been reformatted, can be seen and read by one Vista Ultimate machine, and seen, but not read, by the other Vista machine?

If that's right, apart from some unknown side-effect of a Windows Update difference between the machines, I'm out of ideas. Sorry.

WAW8, Mar 17, 2008
  4. runboston

runboston

Yep you've got it, I do appreciate all of your help though.

runboston, Mar 17, 2008
  5. runboston

WAW8

WAW8, Mar 17, 2008
  6. runboston

runboston

First off, thanks for continuing to look for a solution.

I tried this as well a while back, but just for kicks I re-tried it,but no luck.

runboston, Mar 18, 2008
  7. runboston

fjdcanoe

Greetings All,

I purchased a WD Passport 120 about a year ago. I had same "access type problems" as described above. I called WD and they sent the "VEE" USB cable to permit power to be drawn from two USB ports on my Dell Latitude D800 ( with W2k, not VISTA). The D800 limits USB port power draw. Since I could not wait for the USPS to deliver the part, I purchased a 4 USB port, with common power supply, "IOGEAR Model GUH274". This device is about 3 inches long, 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch thick. IT SOLVED MY PROBLEMS.

Would appreciate feedback as to whether it works on VISTA.

fjdcanoe@sbcglobal.net

Regards

fjdcanoe

fjdcanoe, Mar 19, 2008
  8. runboston

WAW8

[Moderator]

fjdcanoe:

Please don't take this thread off into a different direction with questions on USB hubs. This thread deals specifically with problems getting the WD passport to be seen and read under Vista.

If you have concerns over USB devices, please start a new thread in the forum.

WAW8, Mar 19, 2008
  9. runboston

runboston

Well what I thought would happen has come true. I downloaded and installed SP1 this morning and even though it took forever to fully install, my machine seems to be running well.

Anyway, I went ahead and plugged the WD Passport in, but I got the exact same result. I think I am ready to wave the white flag on this issue and accept that I will never be able to use my WD Passport (or any USB flash drive) on this machine without re-installing Vista.

RunBoston

runboston, Mar 20, 2008
  10. runboston

WAW8

I'm really sorry to hear that. I read some other posts elsewhere in which folks were elated that, apparently for the first time, they could actually use the external USB drives with Vista. I really don't understand why one Vista machine can use the Passport while the other machine can't. Makes no sense to me...

WAW8, Mar 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question