WD Passport No Longer Working

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by runboston, Mar 11, 2008.

1. runboston

runboston

Hello, I know this topic has been covered all over the web, but I am at wits end and I'm looking for any suggestions that might help to resolve my issue. I have a 120 GB Western Digital Passport and it's no longer working with Vista Ultimate (if I plug it into a XP machine or Mac OS X it works perfectly). The drive used to work with my Vista Ultimate install, but not anymore.

Facts:
    -The drive shows up in the Device Manager
    - The drive shows up within Computer Management under Storage-->Disk Management, but it is listed as not available
    -The drive does NOT show up in Windows Explorer, in fact when I have it connected and I open up Windows Exlporer, my machine hangs until I remove the drive
    -I have removed and recreated the INFCACHE.1 file
    -I am using the supplied cable from WD
    -Other hardware (digital camera, USB wireless adapter, etc..) work from the port that I am plugging the Passport into
    -WD claims that it's a Vista issue and they cannot help (I agree with them)

Ok, I appreciate your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

RunBoston

runboston, Mar 11, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. runboston

WAW8

OK, it's a guess, but if the drive is considered "dirty", Vista is likely to refuse to read it -- which sounds somewhat like the problem you're having.

Plug it into your XP box and run a CHKDSK on it, repairing the file system. That will reset the "dirty bit", whether or not there are any problems. And yeah, before you ask, XP should have complained, but didn't.

If you have automatic updates turned on, Vista just might have "updated" the USB drivers. You did the cache removal. You can also try removing the drivers from the DriverStore. There's a pinned post in the Drivers forum on this. Once you do that, you should be prompted for drivers the next time you plug in the drive.

If you have Vista drivers that came with it, you can try updating the drivers through Device Manager.

In the Device Management panel, can you get Properties on the drive, or is everything greyed out?

WAW8, Mar 11, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. runboston

runboston

Thanks for the reply WAWS. I know what you mean and I thought the same thing, so on my XP machine I wiped the passport clean and reformatted it as NTFS. From there I plugged the drive into a differentmachine running Vista Ultimate and it worked like a champ. I thought this was promising, so I then plugged it into my desktop that's having the issue, but still nothing. grrrr.

In the device manager I can see the drive and when I look at the properties, everything appears to be in working order. I did uninstall it to see if it would force a fresh install the next time I plugged it in, but again, it didn't do anything.

One last thing to note, any thumb drive that I plug in (in any of my 6 USB ports) does not work either.

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl2_lblFullMessage>I will check the pinned subject you mentioned.</SPAN>

<SPAN>Thanks again!</SPAN>

<SPAN>RunBoston</SPAN>

runboston, Mar 11, 2008
  4. runboston

WAW8

Ah, hah!! It didn't prompt because it still has USB drivers saved in the DriverStore, even though you removed the INF file(s) from the INFCACHE1 file.

As a precaution, after you wipe the drivers from the DriverStore, I would disconnect from the Internet to prevent Vista from downloading a driver.

It will be interesting to see what happens, then.

WAW8, Mar 11, 2008
  5. runboston

runboston

Update: I just checked out the pinned discussion on removing drivers from the DriverStore and it was pretty straightforward, but from the PnP utility printout, I'm not able to determine which driver I should remove. I was hoping to see one pertaining to Western Digital or Mass Storage device, but there isn't any.

Would it be helpful if I provided the printout?

RunBoston

runboston, Mar 11, 2008
  6. runboston

WAW8

If the passport came with a driver CD, it will contain the INF file. Look for the same INF file contents in the INF directory. It may have a WD-like name, or it may be something like WinUSB, or whatever else they decided to call it.

Short of that, you could go to the WD site and see if they provide drivers for the model Passport drive you have, and download those. Those will also have an INF file.

Sorry, but without the INF file from WD, it's going to be really hard to identify the particular INF file, and related drivers, to remove.

WAW8, Mar 11, 2008
  7. runboston

runboston

Thanks again for the information. I spent close to an hour on the phone today with Western Digital support and they do not have any sort of driver available for the passport. But rather, they claim that it should work just as a USB thumb drive does when it's plugged in. That's all they could help me with.

Any other ideas?

RunBoston

runboston, Mar 11, 2008
  8. runboston

WAW8

Know it's no consolation, but after a lot of Googling, I've found that (1) this same problem affects Win XP users, not just Vista users, (2) there are no XP or Vista drivers available, and (3) the only Vista-related fix is removing the INF CACHE1 file -- which you already did.

I have a similar problem with my own USB external 2.5" drive and this is what I discovered:

1) This is strictly a USB 2.0, port-powered drive, that means, the port must serve not only as the data connection, but also the power connection

2) Some USB ports don't supply enough power to run the drive, especially if the ports are set up for USB 1.1 machines

3) There are adapters that provide a Y-cable that plugs two leads into two USB ports, one port supplies the data connection, the other port supplies the power to the drive. Sometimes, if you have two USB ports on a machine, this will work.

4) Connecting these drives to exernal USB hubs nearly always does NOT work -- not enough power.

5) Sometimes, if other USB devices are connected, unplugging everything but the USB hard drive frees up enough power that the drive then works.

6) In many cases, only the cable supplied with the drive works. I confirmed this by trying a generic USB 2.0 cable with my portable drive, and with it, Vista does NOT see the drive. But when I use the original, short, cable, it DOES see the drive.

I also read that, despite claims of no such USB drive existing, WD supplies the driver on the original drive -- but that formatting erases that driver. Unfortunately, this claim is hotly contested, and not just by WD, and no one has come forward to post the rumoured drivers.

If you can buy another drive at a place that will let you return it for full refund, it might be worth doing so -- just to see if there IS a driver stored in a folder on the drive. Some of these drives come with software preinstalled. That's where they probably would put the driver.

WAW8, Mar 11, 2008
  9. runboston

runboston

Good morning, I have two more updates for you. I forgot to mention yesterday that after spending the hour on the phone with Western Digital support, their last idea was using what they call a powerboost cable and it's basically the Y cable that you described. Anyway, they are sending me one, free of charge, but I'm not expecting that to do anything.

Next, I actually have another WD Passport (the exact same make and model) that I use for work and it has all of the original files and folders that shipped with the drive. I have since copied those files over to the drive that I reformatted and plugged it into my Vista machine, but with no luck. I do see that there is are two .inf files in the directories that shipped with the drive, but they are only autorun.inf files. Is there anything that I can do with those?

In addition to that, I shared out the Passport (the one that I use for work) on an XP machine, mapped to it from my Vista computer, and from there I ran the WD\setup.exe file. What happened next was intersting. I got an error with the following message "Error 1327.Invalid Drive: K:\". I thought this might have been a mapping issue, so I copied all of the files locally and I got the same error. Now I have not investigated this error much as of yet, but I think it might be worth looking into.

Are you familiar with this error?

runboston, Mar 12, 2008
  10. runboston

runboston

Update: Imapped the Passport, that contains all of the original files that it shipped with it, to the K drive on my Vista machine, but when I ran the setup.exe file, I got the same "Error 1327.Invalid Drive: K:\" message.

Note: prior to the new mapping, I didn't have anything mapped to the K drive.

runboston, Mar 12, 2008
  11. runboston

MrMagic

This is an interesting thread. I've been trying to get one of my old 100mb USB 1.1 Zip drives to work on Vista U and getting exactly the same responses and problems that both of you are describing. Iomega does not have VISTA drivers for the ZIP but say that Vista supports it native out of the box. The drive installs, Vista sees it there but simply will not read or write the drive and sometimes just totally locks the machine. I have mucho power available on the USB ports so I know thats not my issue.

If I discover a solution to this it might help you out as well and I will post it.

Steve

MrMagic, Mar 12, 2008
  12. runboston

WAW8

MrMagic:

Thanks for joining in.

I think the real issue is that the USB drivers are messed up for Vista and MS won't admit it. Far too many complaints about generic USB devices not working under Vista or not working reliably (as in, one time Vista sees it, the next time it does not).

This is not helped by the hardware vendors claiming it is not their fault -- even though that's probably true.

I would hope that SP 1 fixes this, but given how the first of the three SP 1 updates trashed my machine, I am reluctant to install them.

WAW8, Mar 12, 2008
  13. runboston

runboston

I have the same feeling about SP1, in the back of my mind I'm hoping that it's going to resolve all of my problems, but I'm pretty sure it's only going to cause more. ugh!

On another note, I have been googling the error that I'm getting when I try to run the steup.exe from the WD Passport,but so far everything that I have found hasn't worked for me.

My quest continues...

runboston, Mar 12, 2008
  14. runboston

WAW8

[Update] Since I have an external 2.5" drive, thought I'd try mixing cables and, sure enough, with a single generic USB cable (even 2.0), the drive can not be seen in either XP or Vista, but with default cable, Vista sees it. But XP does not. XP needs the "Y" cable with two regular USB plugs connecting to the computer, with a single mini-plug on the other end that connects to the drive case. So, the cables really do make a difference.

WAW8, Mar 13, 2008
  15. runboston

runboston

Update: The "turboboost" cable from Western Digital arrived yesterday and it's exactly like the cable you described (two usbs on one end with one mini port on the other). I plugged thiscable into my machine, hooked up the WD Passport, and I am getting the exact same results;the drive shows up in the device manager,but does not show up in 'My Computer'.

Any ideas on what to trynext?

runboston, Mar 15, 2008
  16. runboston

WAW8

Then only other option (one that I used and worked) is that my machine has both front and rear USB ports. The drive works when plugged into two rear ports; it does not work when plugged into two front ports.

WAW8, Mar 15, 2008
  17. runboston

runboston

Believe it or not, I tried the 'powerboost' cable in both the front two USB ports and the back two USB ports, with absolutely no luck at all. Knowing that, do you think it's safe to say that the only thing that's going to get this working again, is a re-image?

runboston, Mar 16, 2008
  18. runboston

WAW8

What does Disk Management show? On my Vista machines, it shows all the drives and partitions but Device Manager and My Computer only show the Windows-format (FAT32 and NTFS) partitions.

WAW8, Mar 16, 2008
  19. runboston

runboston

Ok, using the cables provided by WD and plugging them into both the front and back USB ports, I see the following:

Disk management &amp; My Computer hang when the Passport is plugged in.
    Device Manager shows the Model of the Passport.

If this is unclear, I could provide some screenshots. Let me know if that would help.

runboston, Mar 17, 2008
  20. runboston

WAW8

OK, hanging is probably due to Windows struggling to read the drive and obtain info to put up on the screen. Delays can be attributed most often to disk corruption and/or partition table problems.

Since you apparently can't read it anyway, best thing to do now would be to reformat. You could choose NTFS (if you only use it in Windows) or FAT32 (if you plan on using it with other OS's.)

WAW8, Mar 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question