VZ access manager problem

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by dalta, Jul 23, 2011.

1. dalta

dalta

I have downloaded the VZ Access Manager software 5 times. Different versions. I have talked to the tech dept and they say it is a windows problem. My menu bar on the manager window does not drop down when I click on them. None of them. I was getting kicked off of the internet and was told that they could not help me without the options button and the others. Can someone fix it :confused:

donna

dalta, Jul 23, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. dalta

WAW8

I've been using VZ Access Manager for six months and have repeatedly had connection problems with Verizon Mobile Broadband. I took my laptop into a Verizon store, they confirmed the LG modem was defective, replaced it, and I haven't had any major problems since.

There are days when Mobile Broadband simply does not work. It will either fail to connect or drop you shortly after connection. On those days, there is nothing you can do to fix that.

Since this is a Verizon product, and only works with Verizon service, if this is a laptop, try taking it into a Verizon store. If it's a desktop, then you're basically out of luck.

WAW8, Aug 8, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. dalta

dalta

Thank you for getting back to me. I have removed all of the software and anything else connected with Verizon. I also took off all of the stuff I could find for Fios. I cleaned and uninstalled everything that I did not need. Did a deep scan and did all of the fine tuning I could. I than put on the software that came with the unit. I did not allow any updates. I have not been kicked off since but the VZ Access Manager software is still not working. None of the thanks on the command bar work. No files, options,help, none of them. I was told not to update until they get one that really works. I do have a laptop so if it starts cutting me off I will take it in. If it is working I don't need the commands to get on line but I would like them to see what they do.

donna

dalta, Aug 9, 2011
  4. dalta

WAW8

The VZAccessManager version I'm running is 7.6.3.1 (2642c) Consumer Release.

This was upgraded recently automatically.

If it's still not working for you, then definitely take your laptop into a Verizon store.

Also, I've found out that I do not NEED the VZAccessManager SW running to access Mobile Broadband. So, I basically do not use it anymore.

WAW8, Aug 9, 2011
  5. dalta

dalta

I would ratter not use VZ. I am also running 7.6.3.1. It came on the CD. When I did an update that is when the trouble started. I took it off and reinstalled the one on the CD. I will not let it update.
    I know how to use my wifi connection but do not know how to access Mobile Broadband. Do you still connect to verizon. Can I still use my device. I have a cable about 15 in long with mine and I thought it acted like an antenna. Could you please explain how to do away with the manager and can I still use the device. thanks donna

dalta, Aug 9, 2011
  6. dalta

WAW8

I'm running Win7 so it may be different, and I'm using the LG Modem, but all I have to do is have the modem cablle plugged into a USB port before I turn on the laptop.

Then, the light on the modem turns red, then flashing Blue (indicating it's looking for the network), and then Green (indicating it's connected). I really don't have to use VZ Access Manager for anything.

Also, I'm connecting 4G LTE -- so if you're trying to connect 3G, it may work different.

However, there is a hack you can apply (if you have 4G service) to FORCE the LG modem to connect at 4G. Since I applied this, apart from Verizon Broadband nationwide outages, I've had no problems. If you need the hack, let me know.

And finally, sometimes, the LG workes better WITHOUT the cable in the loop. The cable actually doesn't improve the reception any. I tried different length cables (since I sit deep inside a building) and noticed no change in signal strength (in VZ Access Manager), even without using any cable.

WAW8, Aug 9, 2011
  7. dalta

dalta

I am surprised about the calble. That is what I was told. ok I am using vista ie9. I do have 4G LTE. I have a pantech UML290 Modem. Could you explain about applied apart from verizon broadband nationwide outages. This is new to me. I am learning a lot but still need the extra information. What does the modem connect to. What program does it use. Is it the one I use for connection to the internet through my wifi? I want anything that will help me keep this thing working. Verizon told me a lot of stuff than other things after I bought it. donna

dalta, Aug 9, 2011
  8. dalta

WAW8

Verizon Broadband coverage sometimes goes out nationwide. With my modem, that is shown by an error when it tries to connect to the network. It generally says something like "Network not registered". When that happens, you won't get service until they restore the network. I've had this happen three times in the last four months.

The modem connects to the Verizon Broadband wireless network, but since it plugs into a USB port, it doesn't show up (on my PC, at least) as a wireless connection, but instead, shows up as a wired connection. So, you won't get any signal strength or connection speed readings for the network.

The modem simply uses the builtin networking software in Vista/Win7. VZ Access Manager provides the ability to set config options for the modem and to check your network stats -- but it's not generally needed just to use the modem.

I was told the same about the cable being an antenna -- but my testing has shown otherwise. For a while, I was using a shielded 6-foot (2 meter) cable --hoping to get a better signal. But, it didn't make any difference.

WAW8, Aug 10, 2011
  9. dalta

dalta

WOW!!! I wish I knew all of this stuff before I got it. My VZ manager command bar does not work anyway so i can't set or config any of the options. I was told never plug in the modern without the manager running. So do I just plug it in and let it find vista program. I have been using straight wifi so I think I am using that program. You said you plug in the modem when you turned on your computer. Mine is on most of the time but I do put it to sleep. I really appreciate your help and for braking it down for me. The people at verizon do not know their own stuff. I have not been kicked off since I reinstalled the older software. My vz manager is useless anyway. I do have another small network meter program that shows me my usage with graphs and hour to hour and a lot more that the manager can do. I just need to know how to safely hook up the modem to the USB port. thanks donna

dalta, Aug 11, 2011
  10. dalta

dalta

I plugged it in and found the network but it would not connect. Plus the verizon network I found does not look the same. Whe I did get it to connect I could only get locat connection. They the screen blinked off and on over and over. As soon as i clicked off the verizon connection my wifi connected back up to my wifi connection. I can see verizon on my meter but can't find it. I disabled the wifi but lost all of the networks. I checked the device manager and the modem is there. I disabled the wifi connection there. It keeps coming back as long as the switch is on. If I turn the switch off all of the networks disappear. Am I getting close lol donna

dalta, Aug 11, 2011
  11. dalta

WAW8

As I mentioned, the Verizon Broadband, connected via the Modem, is NOT considered a WiFi connection by the PC. Thus, to prevent confusion, you need to disable your Wifi. You can either do this in Device Manager, or you can use a switch on the laptop to disable it (this is what I do).

It also helps if you have the network status enabled in your System Tray. You can then see the status of network connections simply by looking at the icon in that tray.

WAW8, Aug 11, 2011
  12. dalta

dalta

Verizon sent me a new device.. With the old software before any updates the device was working. The software still does not work but I was not getting kick off.

Last week I received an update notification. I did it . I updated. Now I am back to being kicked off. The future uninstall, replace with old software and never update anything from Verizon for this device again. I can live without the software as it is. You help was informative. While working on this problem I learned a bunch of stuff
    donna

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
    dalta, Sep 2, 2011
  13. dalta

plasmatic

I've had all the same problems using Verizon's 4G service, from not working at all (usually getting a SIM Failure Message) to connecting for a minute or two and then being dropped and having to reboot the computer everytime this happens, to not needing to even start VZ Access Manager. I'm on my third modem and fourth SIM card and have tried using the LG 4G modem in 3 different laptops with 4 different versions of Windows and still have all the same issues. Before "Upgrading to this modem I did have a 3G modem that I NEVER had any probems with (I upgraded because I needed a faster connection and was assured my plan would remain unlimited which it did not - Yeah right, I can't get anything done with this POS).

If someone has a "Hack" or "Patch" to resolve these problems I'd sure like to know. I've been told by the big V that it was Windows XP Media Center Edition that was the problem, then they told me there was a problem with my BRAND new laptop running 7 Ultimate. I was able to use my 3G modem on all of these OS so the problem has to be THEIR software (the 4G modems won't work with the older versions of VZ AM).

I'll step down now and await your help

plasmatic, Sep 25, 2011
  14. dalta

plasmatic

So I just completely uninstalled VZ Acess Manager, re-started my computer and I'm posting this using my 4G connection in Windows 7 - NO VZ ACCESS MANAGER REQUIRED. And so far the connection has not been dropped.

Update - It also works in Vista

plasmatic, Sep 25, 2011
  15. dalta

dalta

I could not get the software to work. I don't know if this a fix or not but. I tried to uninstalled everything and anything associated with Verizon. When i tried to delete everything Verizon, there where some files that would not come off. I tried uninstalling the programs and all of there associate files. I was always finding a piece of it some where. Since I was having some issues with Vista I decided to take that off too. Before I did, I reinstalled the lower version of VZ Access Manager and did not allow the updates. The software still did not work but I have no problems with the connections until I while not paying attention let an update through. Then I started getting knocked of again. I am about to change to windows 7. Before I install VZ I will try your way. If I need to I am going to stick with the lower versions of VZ Access since that is worked for me.

dalta, Sep 26, 2011
  16. dalta

plasmatic

You only need VZ Access Manager if you want to see how much data you've used or want to connect to a WiFi connection using the modem. I found the connection to be much more stable without VZ Access Manager.

plasmatic, Sep 27, 2011
  17. dalta

WAW8

Agreed. I'm posting this from my laptop using an LG 4G LTE modem and never use VZ Access Manager anymore -- and don't have any connection problems.

If you try to connect and get an error something like network not registered, that means tha the 4G LTE network is down -- something that happens far more frequently than it should!

WAW8, Sep 27, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question