Vista's Purple Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by Jason, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason

We've all heard of (and, quite unfortunately, experienced) the infamous Blue Screen of Death. Some of us who tested the earlier Windows Vista beta builds had the unique experience of trying out the Red of Screen Death, which occurred when the bootloader experienced an un-handled exception (we experienced more than our fair share of these during the early days of EasyBCD development!). And then there's Vista's Purple Screen of Death, which few have seen.

OK, perhaps its not a stereotypical "____ Screen of Death" in that its not a fatal error, it doesn't make your computer restart, and it's not as scary. But it's still caused by a low-level problem in the kernel, and it does make you want to restart your PC.

When it happens: if your WDDM drivers partially crash, and DWM doesn't properly deactivate. It's very rare smile.gif

Basically, when a window attempts to "gray out" because its unresponsive, the graphics drivers screw-up and paint it purple. Afterwards, all newly-opened windows will show the same purple tinting. We've seen this behavior on both ATi and nVidia machines, it's something to do with the way the Windows Vista kernel handles a certain exception in the graphics driver subsystem.

Pics:

http://neosmart.net/gallery/v/os/Vista/RTM/Purple+Screen+of+Death_.jpg

Jason, Dec 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

Dunree

I purchased a newGateway with the new os "Vista"in less then six months I got a blue screen. Gateway sent a restoration discafter several phone calls, they wanted to charge me to restore my hard drive over the phone. Gateway told me that the "Blue Screen" was a result of "product abuse" by the consumer. Since then "Vista" has been one nighmare after another, open with half page, doesn't hold settings, lack of drivers. This company has a monoply approved by the FTC.

Dunree, Dec 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question