Vista x64 + Dell 2407 WFP

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by xeffexts989, Mar 16, 2009.

1. xeffexts989

xeffexts989

I don't know when this started happening, but recently I noticed that my monitor just listed as just a "Generic Monitor" in "Other Devices" instead of the actual model. I reformatted within the past couple of months, so it could be that it was that way afterwards.

In any case, going into device manager and trying to update the driver from the internet gives this error:

I have SP1 with the latest updates and have UAC off (running as Administrators group account) I have tried giving full control to Windows/inf and Windows/System32/drivers to {my Computer Name}\Administrators, but that didn't solve the problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Side Note: Similar issue I have with latest Daemon-Tools. The virtual drives show up as XXXXXX scsi CD-ROM drive under "Other Devices", but trying to install drivers for them by manually pointing to Windows/Inf gives the same "access denied" error. My guess is it's the same cause (whatever it is).

xeffexts989, Mar 16, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. xeffexts989

WAW8

This appears to be a common problem with recent HP machines and/or HP monitors.

They provide a utility that can be downloaded for their monitors.

Since yours is a Dell, I'll simply pass along what the HP techs suggest: delete the monitor's driver in the other devices, delete the driver for the graphic card and then restart the computer. The PC should reinstall by itself the driver for the monitor at the right place in "monitor"; then, manually reinstall the driver for the graphic card.

WAW8, Mar 17, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question