Vista won't start up- nothing but green bar and microsoft name underneath

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by TINASMITH, Apr 13, 2010.

1. TINASMITH

TINASMITH

My parents have a dell computer with vista on it which they got about 4-5 years ago. Recently they have had a problem with it not booting up and just seeing a screen wtih a green bar and "microsoft corporation" underneath it.

This time I helped them try to fix it over the phone. The computer would not turn off or respond to ctrl alt delete - so I had them unplug it. Then the computer would not boot up again but offered to run a diagnostics. So, they chose for the computer to run diagnostics and the green bar showed up again and a message that said the computer could not start.

The computer offered a prompt that asked whether they would like to revert back to a restore point. They said Yes and the computer restarted at an earlier restore point and everything was fine.

What is causing this to occur and how can I fix it? :w00t:

thanks for your feedback

TINASMITH, Apr 13, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. TINASMITH

WAW8

A common misconception is that System Restore actually works like a time machine in restoring the entire "system" to an earlier date; when in fact, all it does is back out drivers updates and Windows updates.

Since the restore fixed the problem, that means most likely it was a recent driver update or Windows update.

My general advice, although it will mean more work for you, is to have them turn of automatic updates; instead, have them change it to just notifications. While that will prevent this problem from happening again, it means you will get calls every time there is an offered update.

WAW8, Apr 14, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question