Vista wont shut down

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Arguggi, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Arguggi

Arguggi

Hello everyone,

I've been having a problem with Vista lately, when I shut down my PC Vista shuts down correctly showing me the usual procedure, but when my monitor says "No video input" ( meaning Vista has shut down) my Computer is still on. Its quite annoying because I have to shut it down with the power button on the case every time. When it started acting like this I thought if i had installed any particular program, but I couldn't think of anything except that i did a Defrag and used Glary utilities or CCleaner (I don't remember which one) for my temporary Opera/FF/Internet Explorer files. So I tried to restore the system to a previous point but it didn't help. After I did a full Antivirus scan with: Kaspersky Online Antivirus Scanner, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, hijackthis and even RootkitBuster. None of these softwares found anything. I really don't understand whats happening.

I have very few programs that open at startup ( Nvidia Drivers, Audio Drivers, ,Password program and obviously all of the usual vista services) no Antivirus and Vista built in Firewall.

I also have a Dual Boot With Ubuntu ( I'm not much of an expert, but I don't think Ubuntu could be causing this).

If specs could be useful just ask.

Thank you

Arguggi

Arguggi, Jan 22, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Arguggi

WAW8

Actually, since you dual-boot with Ubuntu, when you tell it to shutdown, does your PC eventually power off? Or do you have to power it off manually?

If it powers off (as it should), it's definitely a Vista-related issue.

There is no simple solution to this problem as it could involve drivers, virtual memory, external hardware, and a host of other stuff.

You can try to isolate to some degree by doing the following:

- Remove all the external devices except the mouse and keyboard (e.g., printers, USB hubs, external drives, cameras, etc). See if it shutsdown now. If so, reconnect one device at a time until shutdown fails again.

- Run MSCONFIG, open the Startup tab, disable ALL the startup programs, reboot. If it shutsdown now, re-enable one item at a time until shutdown fails again.

- Go into the Event viewer and look for failures. Start at end end of the log and work back. That will tell you if something is failing as part of the shutdown.

- Make sure that you select the Shutdown option that does NOT install windows updates. The second option can take a long time to complete and not necessarily show anything on the monitor in the process.

WAW8, Jan 22, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Arguggi

Arguggi

My pc never powers off, i tried to wait even for 1 hour but nothing happend, i had to shut it off manually.

-I shut down my computer, the same problem came up and i wrote down what time it was. When i booted later and checked the Event Viewer it didn't report any problems in those minutes. I tried to close almost all of my running programs before shutting down but nothing changed.

I Don't think that Vista doesn't shut down because even if i shut it down afterwards with the power button no errors or reports come up when i boot after.

Untill Now i have tried to:

1)Close every program that wasn't from Microsoft, including my razer mouse configurator, my motherboard Audio Drivers and my password program but it didn't help. I didn't close any microsoft services because i wasn't sure if i could damage my pc.

2)Restore the system to a previous point, but i didnt help. When this started happening I hadn't installed or modified any particular programs or windows settings, as far as I remember.

3)Check if my Motherboard BIOS was updated and it was.

4) Shut it down in safe mode, problem still happens.

5) Use a Shutdown Shortcut instead of the usual shut down buttone in the start menu, didn't help

6) Run a System File Checker, no errors found

7) Run a checkdisk on my only Hard Disk, found nothing

For Some reason it shut down properly when i manually closed the windows defender User interface, or something like that. So i tried to not make Defender start when i boot but nothing changed.

Arguggi, Jan 23, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question