Vista won't run or save a downloaded program

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by fb902350, Jun 6, 2008.

1. fb902350

fb902350

Hi All,

I'm new to vista, have just installedHome Premiumyesterday, and having problems already :(

Vista just simply won't run or save a program or file that I have downloaded.

I am logged on as the administator, and when I try to download a program, if I try to run it, it will download it, the progress will go to 100%, then when i click run, it just vanishes and does nothing else?? If i click to save it first, it asks me where to save it to, then just vanishes.

I have a dual core 1.8 system, 2gig ram, and a 256 graphics card.

I've had a search on the 'net and can't find this problem anywhere, Can anyone help please?

Regards, fb

fb902350, Jun 6, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. fb902350

WAW8

Not sure what you're trying to do ...

Unless you unhid the "real" Admin account, you're not logged in as the administrator, you're logged in as a normal user.

As to downloading and running a program, the typical sequence is you download something, install the application, reboot, and then run the application from the Start menu entry. If you're just downloading and running something, it's most likely an installer package. If that's the case, you need to right-click on the file you downloaded and select "Run as administrator". That will grant temporary elevated rights and install the application.

If you're just downloading something that's an executable, give me an example so I can try that out and see what happens.

WAW8, Jun 6, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. fb902350

robotman

I am having the same issue. For example, I just tried to dl the Mozilla Thunderbird install, which I can see dl'ing, then see it in explorer, only to watch it disappear never to be seen again. I have done this several times this am, but I get the same results. I am running Vista Ultimate, and this a new install. I do have AVG installed and running, but I disabled it and still couldn't keep the file after it dl'ed.

Thanx!!

robotman, Jun 19, 2008
  4. fb902350

WAW8

One possibility is that you have AV turned on the check the files and the AV tool detects something in the file and refuses to save it. But, if you've disabled real-time download checking, and/or you're downloading stuff known to be OK, the AV tool should not be giving you trouble.

If you run a file you've downloaded instead of saving it, it simply holds it in a temporary location to execute it. For all intents and purposes, it has "vanished" because you didn't save it. However, if you downloaded it through a web browser, it actually did save the file. You just have to find your most recent session to determine where the file was saved.

More likely, the file is not vanishing, but rather, being written to the download location you've set in the tool or the tool has set by default. You'll both need to determine where the downloads are being saved. That depends on the settings you have defined in the tool you're using to do the downloads. There's several different web browsers, and a host of download assistance tool. You'll have to look into the settings for the tool you're using.

WAW8, Jun 19, 2008
  5. fb902350

ZX_AHH

im having this trouble also, dont know whats going on.

i click to download a file for example a torrent, it asks me where i want it to save to, i say desktop..

while downloading, i can see the file in desktop but as soon as its downloaded 100% it disapears. but when i try to search for it in the start menu, i see the file, i click on it, but now says that it cannot locate the file and asks me whether i want to locate it manually.

This is realy annoying.

but i downloaded firefox from another computer onto my flash drive stick, took it back to my computer and installed it, this worked fine and im using the browser now.

any help?

ZX_AHH, Sep 8, 2008
  6. fb902350

mrcharter45

I'm having the same problem. This is NOT a simple case of not knowing where the download is saved; it downloads, then is deleted! Same thing if it's downloaded to Run, it just goes away. The box IS NOTchecked to "Closed this dialogue box when download is complete", so the dialogue should stay open!It won't save anywhere on my computer! I CAN create files and folders in the locations I'm trying to save.I've disabled AVG and no other anti-malware program is running. This is a Dell Vista Home Premium.

mrcharter45, Sep 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question