Vista won't recognize 1 of the 2 gb RAM on motherboard

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by westbrennan, Aug 28, 2011.

1. westbrennan

westbrennan

Hello,
    I'm running a Compaq Presario SR2170NX with Windows Vista Home Basic

This motherboard has 2 ram slots and has max of 2 gb.

I wanted to speed it up a bit so I ordered a kingston 1gb ddr2 stick for it, upgrading it from 1 X 1 gb to 2 x 1 gb.. however Vista doesn't seem to recognize the memory in the second ram slot: the welcome center in the control panel still says there is only 1.00 Gb RAM... I've been searching for the answer for hours now and can't seem to figure it out...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you for your help.

westbrennan, Aug 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. westbrennan

clifford_cooley

Try switching the two modules and see if that helps.

If not pull both modules and then try them both one at a time in both memory slots. This will let you know if the memory modules will work.

If both modules and both slots appear to work using them one at a time, the only things I could think of would be.
    • The memory modules are not matched and don't function together. Are both modules of the same brand and speed? Optimizing the system BIOS may make them work together.
    • The motherboard is damaged somehow and not allowing both slots to function properly. I do hope this is not the issue you are having.

clifford_cooley, Aug 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. westbrennan

westbrennan

Thanks for replying..
    So, i've put both of them in there at the same time with the result of windows only recognizing 1 of the 2, and then swapped the memory into opposite memory slots and got the same result.

When tested by themselves, Both modules seem to work fine by themselves in both of the slots..
    They are two different brands, however they are same size, speed, etc.. Pc 4200, ddr2, 1 gb... I just ordered the new one for extra speed. It's a Kingston from Newegg.

4. westbrennan

westbrennan

CPU-Z shows that: Under the memory tab the size = 2048 and under the SPD tab it shows a 1024 module size for slot #1 and 2.. however when i F10 and go to bios, it says one of the memory slots isn't installed... any idea how to fix that?
    -------------------------------------
    EDIT:
    Alright so i talked to a friend and he said that it may be because they're not 100% completely identical, so i'm ordering another one of the kingston rams and hoping it'll fix the problem... it's only like 15 from newegg anyways

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question