Vista wont load, but i need to re-install it..

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by getslinky, Oct 14, 2009.

1. getslinky

getslinky

Hey

My computer has gone through a major breakdown, and now will not load.

So i need to format. When i put the installation cd in, it loads. But then when i put my cd key in, it says 'to use this cd key, please install vista when vista is running'. So what can i do? I can't format from the installation cd or vista itself!

getslinky, Oct 14, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. getslinky

WAW8

Well, first of all, Vista comes on a DVD, not a CD. So, if you really have a CD, then it's one of the following:

1) Upgrade CD

2) OEM Custom CD

3) Recovery/restore CD

The first can only be run inside Vista as it upgrades it from one version to another.

The second will reformat your drive and reinstall Vista from scratch but it generally requires a hidden partition on the drive containing a restore image in order to do that.

The third can only be used to repair an existing installation, not install or reinstall Vista.

You would need to describe the CD in more details (what's printed on it) and see what files it contains before we can provide more advice.

WAW8, Oct 15, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question