Vista won't load and gives blue screen

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by Stephen, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Stephen

Stephen

Ok major details. Last night at approx 1:30 am my laptop (its a gateway) froze up and nothing would happen except the mouse moving on the screen. I could not open task manager or anything. So to fix this I ended up having to push and hold down the power button to turn it off. When it came up I tried to start it in Safe Mode but that didn't work. It just stopped on a blank screen. So I tried again to start it only in Normal Mode thinking that whatever it was that caused the freeze up had been something like my Messenger (which has happened in the past).

My laptop went through the opening Gateway Crap, then to the windows stuff eventually. But the moment it left the windows loading page it went black screen and then blue screen of death.

So when the options came back up after an illegal shut down it only had repair and restart normally. Everytime I would try restart normally it would get the blue screen. When I would try and repair it it would get an empty black screen but the mouse cursor would appear and move around the screen when I moved my touch pad or wireless mouse.

After this I brought out the Windows Vista Disk that I got with my laptop. I would attempt to boot from disk but that didn't work because in the end it would just top on a screen that looks like its supposed to be a set up area and then only the mouse cursor would show up.

Can anyone tell me what could potentially be the problem? I'm thinking that it might be the Hard Drive crapping out on me but I really hope it isn't. Someone else said Video Card. I'm just hoping its something that can be fixed simply.

Stephen, Mar 10, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Stephen

WAW8

Since a Blue Screen can be virtually anything, first thing to do is to write down some of the details to narrow down the possibilities. We have a pinned post in our General Technical forum on diagnosing Blue Screen problems that should get you started.

Once you have some of that info written down, we'll see if we can proceed further.

WAW8, Mar 10, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question