Vista Won't Let Me Connect to the Net...

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Shadow Wulfe, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Shadow Wulfe

Shadow Wulfe

So yeah...

I'll start with the fact that I have a broadband connection with Comcast... so I plugged the network cable in. Normally, this would magically connect me to the internet.

Problem: Vista says I have internet connection... but I don't.

I have Firewall off (but it keeps turning itself on), I turned all internet protection settings off, no Google Toolbar, nothing.

I have tried to repair, diagnose, all that. It recognizes my local network... just doesn't let me connect.

So allow me to state the situation in full...

I have a Gateway GM5638E computer and forgot to activate Vista... Keep that little forgot in mind, yes?

I wanted to upgrade it to Vista Ultimate 64-bit. So I tried to upgrade it... it told me that I had to reformat to install.

Halfway through reformat... Vista told me that I had to have a valid (get it... activated) version of Vista...

Problem: How does one activate something that no longer exists?

After much chaos and searching, I managed to reinstall the version of Vista that came with the computer... and now I'm at a stage where I cannot connect to the internet to activate Vista... that oh so valuable so valuable step that kind of dictated the entire mess that I'm in right now.

By the way... I did download and install the drivers for my network connection (via USB).

Yeah...

Shadow Wulfe, Feb 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Shadow Wulfe

Jason

What version did it orignally have, was it x64? I was under the impression you could not upgrade to x64 from x86 anything..

Jason, Feb 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Shadow Wulfe

Shadow Wulfe

It was Vista Premium 32-bit. Impression?

I got it to connect to the internet and funniest thing is... it tells me my version of Vista is activated...

So eh, why did Ultimate screw me over by denying my clearly activated version of Vista?

Edit: I just tried to install Ultimate Upgrade again... and it still doesn't recognize my valid copy of Vista Premium... So is Microsoft telling me that Gateway is all bootleg?

Shadow Wulfe, Feb 17, 2008
  4. Shadow Wulfe

WAW8

Several things ...

If your machine came with Vista preinstalled, you should NOT have to activate; the supplier is supposed to have activated it for you. So, how did you confirm that is was NOT activated?

You can not generally upgrade a preinstalled version of Vista with a version you get on a DVD because the licensing is different. Preinstalled versions use BIOS-locked licensing; versions obtained through other channels use product-key-entered licensing. The only known way to successfully upgrade a preinstalled version of Vista to a "higher" version is through the Windows Anytime Upgrade program -- which really only updates some system files. That is often done through the supplier of the machine because they typically provide customized Vista media for doing that.

You can not "upgrade" from 32-bit to 64-bit, or vice-versa. You have to wipe and reinstall from scratch. That is probably why it mentioned doing a reformat in the process.

WAW8, Feb 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question