Vista wont install?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by The_Blood_Raven, Jan 6, 2009.

1. The_Blood_Raven

The_Blood_Raven

Hello I am a computer builder and while I have a lot of experience I sadly can not answer my own question. You see I just bought a 500GB SATA hard drive for my own PC. I was using an old 200GB IDE hard drive because I wanted to upgrade to 2 GTX 280s and an E8600 first with my 680i LT board (never seen a reason to upgrade). Now that it has arrived I installed it and ran the Vista 64 Ultimate installation disk. It seemed to install fine and everything correctly detected my new hard drive. However, after the initial install the computer tries to boot into windows and halts with a BSOD error message 0x0000007e. From my experience this error is usually caused by missing system files which led me to believe that Windows was not properly installed. I then went through the process again, but it read my hard drive as though NOTHING was installed, 1MB difference between capacity and available capacity. I have never had a problem installing Windows before so I don't know if this is normal, but if Vista was actually installed than it should take up some space!

I am currently running a good bootable hard drive scanner to see if it is DOA, but I doubt it. I have never seen a harddrive that was dead and was still read correctly in BIOS. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Anyone have any idea what the problem is? The only reason I ask before the scan is done is because I don't expect the hard drive to be dead and the program takes a long time and is very thorough, maybe too thorough... Could it be my install disk? It worked fine a few days ago for my cousin's PC?

Thank you in advanced!

The_Blood_Raven, Jan 6, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. The_Blood_Raven

The_Blood_Raven

Update: The hard drive passed without any errors whatsoever. Could the disk be damaged? It looks fine and worked recently.

The_Blood_Raven, Jan 6, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. The_Blood_Raven

WAW8

Do you have 4GB or more of memory in the machine during the install? There have been numerous reports of Vista 64-bit NOT installing properly if more than 2GB of memory is resident during the install. Once the install is done, you can load all the memory you want.

Also, Vista installation is quirky about being able to read SATA drives correctly during all the install phases. Be sure to load the SATA-IDE drivers for your motherboard during the first part of the install.

WAW8, Jan 6, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question