VISTA wont find or show setup.exe on CD ROMs

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by sleepless, Jan 20, 2010.

1. sleepless

sleepless

It has been a while since I tried to install from CD so do not know when this new "feature" occurred. The disks are fine (can see all files on all other computers). One is a printer driver from Epson and the other is a program disk. All other files and sub-directories can be seen, just not the setup.exe program. I cannot see the setup.exe file from explorer or from a command prompt (with all of the dir options). Hidden files are visible, directories are visible, just not the setup.exe file. The disk will not autorun, but that makes sense if the setup.exe is not listed, so even the system thinks it is not there?!?

I tried turning off all of the Norton and windows protections I could find. Startup folder(s) are empty.

I turned on all of the file display options and made sure no "hide" option was checked. This shouldn't affect the command window, but I did it anyway.

Where do I look for something that can block the listing of just the setup.exe file in the root of a CD? (I can see exe files on my hard drive).

Acer Aspire E700, Vista Home Premium (32), Service Pack 2,

sleepless, Jan 20, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. sleepless

WAW8

Is it just the "setup.exe" file on CDs or is it all .exe files?

In some cases, there are no setup.exe files, but they use .msi (MS Installer) files instead.

There's an option in explorer to allow you to see system files. Make sure that is turned on. Also, the one the displays extensions of file types.

WAW8, Jan 22, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. sleepless

jschueren

I am having the same problem with Vista. Any CD I try that, according to the install instructions, has a setup.exe file won't find the file. I can't find any .msi files either. I've tried running all the files I do find in the CD root with no luck.

I've made sure that I have "show hidden files" turned on.

I have "autorun CDs" turned on, but it never works since the system can't find any files to run.

What the heck is going on? My computer is basically worthless because of this. I can't install anything.

I'd appreciate your help.

jschueren, Feb 13, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question