Vista won't display wallpaper

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by gmerah, Aug 23, 2007.

1. gmerah

gmerah

I have Vista home premium. For some reason, everytime I select an image as my wallpaper from the Desktop Personalization/desktop backgroundnothing happens. The only wallpaper it would display are solid colors. I've even tried to use the windows wallpapers (the ones that originallycame with Vista). I set them to stretch the entire screen, double-clicked on them, I hit okay, nothing happens.

The only way I can set my desktop background now is by opening the image through IE and setting it as my wallpaper. Nothing else works. At first, I thought I might have accidentally set IE to block images, but as it turns out, that wasn't it. IE was set to display images, and yet, Desktop Personalization still refused to show anything but solid colors.

I didn't have this problem a month ago. I first noticed it after Windows Update installed a few security updates. Could it have been the windows security updates that's causing this problem? How do I fix this? Should I uninstall every single security update that I've ever downloaded (whoa... that's... a lot to uninstall... and I can only do it one by one, too...):blink:

gmerah, Aug 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. gmerah

cyclic

Type services.msc into the run line and check that 'desktop window manager session manager' is running and set to start on auto. In some cicumstances this can prevent changes being made to the desktop as it prevents DWM from working properly.

If it's running, try starting it in a local account as a secondary logon, this may or may not work, but it's all I can think of at the moment, worth a try.

cyclic, Aug 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. gmerah

mistman23

I have the same problem. My desktop background will only display solid colors. This fix will not work for me. Any other ideas?

mistman23, Sep 14, 2007
  4. gmerah

cyclic

Check the settings in windows colour and appearence, make sure you've selected a theme and not a standard windows desktop, if you have then the colours and sizes of everything will be as defined in 'advanced' from the same dialogue page.

cyclic, Sep 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question