Vista won't connect to the Internet using IE

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by shaketyshake, Aug 19, 2008.

1. shaketyshake

shaketyshake

My computer is connected to the internet, I can get AIM to work, so it isnt a connection problem, but Internet Explorer 7, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari won't connect to any websites. I've reinstalled all of them to see if it was a problem with the program but since none of them work and my computer still has internet connectivity I'm at a loss to what to do. I think all my drivers are updated but I'm not too computer savvy so I wouldn't know what to do to troubleshoot them. I just have to say that Vista sucks!

shaketyshake, Aug 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. shaketyshake

WAW8

Don't know how AIM works, so if it needs an IP address, the rest of my comments don't apply.

One thing that all the failing apps have in common is that you must have an IP address in order to surf the Web. To check if you have an address, you need to open a command window and type "ipconfig /all". You will get a bunch of text and near the top, it will provide your IP address. If you get "not connected" or something like that, you're not getting an IP address.

WAW8, Aug 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. shaketyshake

W3000x2VHP

Hi shaketyshake

What happems if you type an ip address into the browser address bar, rather than a url? Eg 207.46.197.32 as opposed to microsoft.com?

W3000x2VHP, Aug 21, 2008
  4. shaketyshake

WAW8

Typing the actual IP address only allows you to bypass using Domain Name Servers -- which are typically provided by your ISP. But, the same ISP also assigns your machine (or your router if you're on a local network) an IP address. Without the IP address, you can't get connected to the Internet -- no matter what you type.

So, do the command stuff I suggested before asking more questions...

WAW8, Aug 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question