vista & windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by suehoward, Mar 30, 2014.

1. suehoward

suehoward

Just bought a new notebook (windows 8.1) - Old laptop is vista - desktop is windows 7.
    Have a home network laptop sees desktop and notebook docs etc, desktop sees laptop and notebook docs etc, notebook sees desktop and laptop but cant access laptop documents
    Desktop is under homegroup with Notebook have named workgroup all with same names
    Laptop appears in network rather than in homegroup
    error message says ....
    \\..... is not accessible you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admistrator of this server to see if you have access permissions
    "log on failure: the user has not been granted the requested log on type at this computer"

Been all over the net; tried allsorts with password protection blah blah , still no joy ... anyone any ideas?
    Sue

suehoward, Mar 30, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. suehoward

DrJoanie

Vista permissions problem with Windows 8.1

Dear Sue,

Coincidentally, my last name is Howard, too--and I'm having the same (apparently unsolvable) problem you were having last year trying to get your Win 8.1 notebook into the Public folder of your Vista machine. Have you solved it? If so, how? I sent the whole saga of my own attempts to get things working to a Windows 8 forum yesterday, but no one has responded to my query. I see no one responded to yours, either, which is very depressing!

Many thanks for any words of wisdom you may have in this regard.

Joan

DrJoanie, Mar 7, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. suehoward

DrJoanie

Vista's Problem Sharing Public Folder with Win 8.1

So many people have viewed this thread over the last year that I am writing in to describe how I FINALLY solved the problem I was having with the "Access denied," you-don't-have-the-right-permissions notice when trying to access Vista Public from my laptop (connected via Ethernet cable to the same router/modem the desktop is connected to).

The fly in the ointment turned out to be the Security settings on the Vista machine. Provided you've done everything else you're supposed to do to set up Public folder sharing in Control Panel>Network and Sharing (i.e., turn on Network Discovery, File Sharing, Public folder sharing & (if you wish) Printer sharing), you should navigate to C:\Users\Public folder and right-click on the Public folder's file name. Then click Properties. Be sure the Sharing tab indicates that the folder is shared, then click the Security tab. There will be a bunch of users names listed there. What worked for me was to add "Everyone" to that list by clicking the Edit button, the Add button, writing the word "Everyone" in the "Enter the object names to select" field, and clicking Checking Names. That should cause "Everyone" to show up underlined, at which point you click OK. Check the boxes under "Permissions for Everyone," click Apply, OK & Close. That should do it! If you've had this problem and been trying unsuccessfully to solve it for months as I have, give yourself a cheer!

DrJoanie, Mar 14, 2015
  4. suehoward

whistling

Bought a Toshiba Satellite and did manage to get rid of Windows 8.1 (smile). But the said Satellite does not have HDD and Vista ISO images on bootable flash do not install (from flash) and keep looking for drivers on "the DVD".
    Ubuntu Linux does install; and is an excellent OS; but I am longing for my Vista.
    Well... uh, 8.1 will install back: it is meant for flash installation. Unless of course I throw the recovery flash drive in a big fire while dancing around it on one foot, whistling.

whistling, Jul 9, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question