Vista Will not Upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Anon_BN, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Anon_BN

Anon_BN

Hi, I am new to the forum so bear with me on this.. I have read a lot of threads in the forums to try to get to the bottom of my issue, but I have not found a true answer.

I am running XP Pro and trying to upgrade to Vista Ultimate. I have ran the advisory many times and it stated my computer is ok.

System details:

No issues were detected for these system components

The following table contains system components that meet the minimum hardware requirements needed for Windows Vista.

Category

Action Required

Explanation

CPU

No action required

Your computer's CPU is AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+

System memory (RAM)

No action required

Your computer has 2.50 GB of RAM.

DVD drive

No action required

Your computer can read DVDs.

Video card

No action required

Your current video card will support the Windows Aero™ user experience.

Device details:

Cannot find information on these devices

The following table contains devices for which we have no information.

Category

Model

Manufacturer

Action Required

HP Photosmart C6200 series

Hewlett-Packard

There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

HP Deskjet D2400 series

Hewlett-Packard

There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

HP Photosmart C6200 series (DOT4USB)

Hewlett-Packard

Photosmart C6200 (DOT4PRINT)

Hewlett-Packard

HP Photosmart C6200

Hewlett-Packard

No issues were detected for these devices

The following table contains devices that will automatically work after installation of Windows Vista.

Category

Model

Manufacturer

Action Required

NVIDIA® nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface

NVIDIA Corporation

No action required

NVIDIA® nForce(TM) MCP Audio Processing Unit

NVIDIA Corporation

No action required

NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management

NVIDIA

If you disable automatic updating during Windows Vista installation, go to the Windows Update website after installation to get the latest driver for this device.

HP Photosmart C6200 series (DOT4PRT)

Hewlett-Packard

If you disable automatic updating during Windows Vista installation, go to the Windows Update website after installation to get the latest driver for this device.

Logitech HID-Compliant Keyboard

Logitech

No action required

SyncMaster 192MPplus/930MP/198MP,SyncMaster Magic CX911MP (Analog)

Samsung

No action required

Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse

Logitech

No action required

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

NVIDIA

No action required

NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Nvidia

No action required

Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Marvell

No action required

NVIDIA nForce2 ATA Controller (v2.6)

NVIDIA Corporation

No action required

USB Mass Storage Device

Compatible USB storage device

No action required

OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

IEEE 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller Vendor

No action requir

Anon_BN, Mar 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Anon_BN

WAW8

I would advise you against attempting to upgrade your machine to Vista Ultimate, for the following reasons:

1) Lack of ASUS Vista drivers -- You have an ASUS mobo, but only the most current P5x series have Vista drivers, the "older" series are hit and miss. You are most likely to NOT find Vista drivers at ASUS.

2) You're running an Nforce2 chipset. The NforcersHQ forum is full of posts by folks still struggling to find Nvidia chipset drivers that support Vista. My mobo is an Nforce4 chipset, and it was a struggle to find those. It's highly unlikely that you will find Nforce2 nvidia Vista drivers.

3) Athlon 2500+ is a really low-end CPU -- for Vista, that is. You need a 4xxx series to get decent performance, and for good performance, one of the more recent dual-core or quad cores.

4) An in-place upgrade from XP to Vista is generally a bad idea because of all the junk left behind by the upgrade.

As to why it freezes at 30%, there have been lots of such reports with "older" machines, some of which have been fixed by BIOS upgrades, others of which have been fixed by driver upgrades -- but there's no generic one-size-fits-all fix. And, I would not be surprised if ASUS has neither BIOS or driver upgrades for your board.

WAW8, Mar 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Anon_BN

Anon_BN

Thanks man... I was afraid of this... I have the latest BIOS for the mother board. It is just funny that the Vista adviser say it will work... Oh well, now I have to get my system back to XP Pro with out having to choose it in the Windows Boot Manger screen. It is still trying to finish the install and ask me to continue set up or load prevision OS.

Anon_BN, Mar 10, 2008
  4. Anon_BN

Anon_BN

Hi, I found this log in my Win XP Pro Windows file. It looks like it might have something to do with the Vista not installing. Can anyone tell me if this means anything and it so what I might be able to do. Thanks.

Here is the Log:

03-01-2008 10:18 : DTC Install error = 0, CMsdtcUpgradePlugin::get_PerUserSupport: Enter, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcstp\msdtcplugin.cpp (56)

03-01-2008 10:18 : DTC Install error = 0, CMsdtcUpgradePlugin::get_PerUserSupport: Exit, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcstp\msdtcplugin.cpp (66)

03-01-2008 10:23 : DTC Install error = 0, CMsdtcUpgradePlugin::Gather: Enter, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcstp\msdtcplugin.cpp (78)

03-01-2008 10:23 : DTC Install error = 0, C:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005AEAD9, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcstp\msdtcplugin.cpp (110)

03-01-2008 10:23 : DTC Install error = 0, CMsdtcUpgradePlugin::Gather: Exit, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcstp\msdtcplugin.cpp (167)

03-02-2008 15:34 : DTC Install error = 0, CMsdtcUpgradePlugin::get_PerUserSupport: Enter, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcstp\msdtcplugin.cpp (56)

03-02-2008 15:34 : DTC Install error = 0, CMsdtcUpgradePlugin::get_PerUserSupport: Exit, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcstp\msdtcplugin.cpp (66)

03-02-2008 15:39 : DTC Install error = 0, CMsdtcUpgradePlugin::Gather: Enter, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcstp\msdtcplugin.cpp (78)

03-02-2008 15:39 : DTC Install error = 0, C:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005AEAD9, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcstp\msdtcplugin.cpp (110)

03-02-2008 15:39 : DTC Install error = 0, CMsdtcUpgradePlugin::Gather: Exit, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcstp\msdtcplugin.cpp (167)

03-08-2008 22:12 : DTC Install error = 0, CMsdtcUpgradePlugin::get_PerUserSupport: Enter, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcstp\msdtcplugin.cpp (56)

03-08-2008 22:12 : DTC Install error = 0, CMsdtcUpgradePlugin::get_PerUserSupport: Exit, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcstp\msdtcplugin.cpp (66)

03-08-2008 22:17 : DTC Install error = 0, CMsdtcUpgradePlugin::Gather: Enter, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcstp\msdtcplugin.cpp (78)

03-08-2008 22:17 : DTC Install error = 0, C:\$UPGRADE.~OS\OnlineUpgradeGatherWork\agentmgr\CCSIAgent\005AEAD9, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcstp\msdtcplugin.cpp (110)

03-08-2008 22:17 : DTC Install error = 0, CMsdtcUpgradePlugin::Gather: Exit, d:\vistartm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\msdtcstp\msdtcplugin.cpp (167)

Anon_BN, Mar 12, 2008
  5. Anon_BN

WAW8

All you have to do is reboot using the XP CD and repair the MBR.

There's a post here about going back to XP from Vista. That has a lot of useful info in it.

WAW8, Mar 13, 2008
  6. Anon_BN

Anon_BN

What if you do not have the disk that was used to set up the XP Pro. I have another Store bought Xp Pro. Can I use that disc to perform the repair?

Anon_BN, Mar 13, 2008
  7. Anon_BN

WAW8

The short answer is yes -- if the CD you have is the same version as what you have installed.

Contrary to what people seem to think today, when whining about ALL the Vista versions, XP also came in several different versions:

- Home

- Professional

- Professional 64-bit

- Media Center Edition

- Tablet PC Edition

And, for the real doubters, here's a link:

[url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx [/url]

WAW8, Mar 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question