Vista will not let me access 2nd internal HDD

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by lilybella, Feb 16, 2011.

1. lilybella

lilybella

I'm a retired designer who still does small jobs for a few clients. I am shuttling back and forth between my mac and my PC, and I was back on the PC searching for some graphics files directories I know I have (or had). Then it hit me... the second HDD inside the PC is not showing up in Explorer. It shows up in the BIOS just fine, but not in Explorer. It also shows up in Device Manager correctly (ST3320620AS ATA Device) a Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM. This is a 320 GB HDD, loaded with a few years of work, so I cannot reformat using Vista. And yes... it did work just fine in Windows XP previously with all the service packs and other Windows OS's before that. I see that this is a fairly common topic in Google, but I don't see any easy fixes or maybe I'm missing something. I'm hoping that someone with a lot more smarts than I has the answer and its not going to be too difficult.

I did check on Seagate's website to see if maybe there's a special driver for Vista? Nothing found there. I upgraded this past Fall to Vista Home Premium and in between the raindrops I figured the drive would eventually "show up" as I've enabled updates as needed. But now that the holidays are over I have a little time to get this fixed and I'd like to do that without losing my accumulated client's artwork.

Don't really understand why Vista acts differently than all previous versions of Windows which automatically recognized all internal hardware like drives. Is this a glitch in Vista? Well... hopefully someone will throw me a bone and help me out.

lilybella, Feb 16, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. lilybella

clifford_cooley

Hi lilybella - Welcome to vistaforums

Check Administrator Tools >> Disk Management and see if there is a drive letter assigned to the drive.

clifford_cooley, Feb 16, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. lilybella

lilybella

Hi Clifford... Thanks for the help. OK, in Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management, the disk shows up as "Offline". Right-clicking gives me three (3) options; Convert to basic disk, Properties, and Help.

There is no option to "reactivate" this drive in the drop-down section. Where do I find "Administrator Tools" or is that not relevant if I have the "Computer Management" window open?

lilybella, Feb 16, 2011
  4. lilybella

WAW8

The Disk Management panel is the Administrator Tools panel you should be using. So, you're in the right place.

You should also seen an option to bring the volume Online. That would result in it being assigned a drive letter and then being seen by Vista.

WAW8, Feb 16, 2011
  5. lilybella

lilybella

Don't see any option to bring the volume online. My computer shows a window with a left column (Computer Management), then a center space that is split into an upper and lower section. Upper shows the online drives, healthy, etc. and the lower shows the volumes; Disk 0, Disk 1, Disk 2, etc. where Disk 2 is the only one "Offline" and I don't see any options on the menu bar or anyplace to simply bring it online. It simply says; Disk 1, Dynamic, and Offline.

lilybella, Feb 16, 2011
  6. lilybella

WAW8

OK, so when you right-click on that volume at the bottom of the panel, you don't get a list of actions, including "Online" ?

WAW8, Feb 16, 2011
  7. lilybella

lilybella

As noted above... I have three options, none of which are "online". Its looking more and more like I have to pull the drive and put it in a drive enclosure, extract all the data, and then re-format. Definitely some kind of bug in the Vista Operating System that MS never addressed... they should expect that some people that buy an upgrade package might just have a 2nd internal drive packed with data of some sort. Vista apparently renders the drive as useless inside the computer.

lilybella, Feb 17, 2011
  8. lilybella

WAW8

Should have mentioned earlier ... as far as I know, there's no special driver needed for Vista. You didn't mention whether this is a SATA drive or a PATA drive -- but if Vista saw the drive in Windows Explorer before, it should still see it, regardless of the type of drive.

Don't want to discourage you, but if Vista can't see it when it's mounted internally, there's a strong chance it won't see it when it's mounted via USB.

The only thing I can suggest at this point is to, with the drive still connected, boot Vista into Safe Mode Command Prompt and see if you can see the drive there. IF you can, try running chkdsk on it. That might detect, and should fix, any filesystem problems that could be preventing Vista from seeing the drive.

WAW8, Feb 17, 2011
  9. lilybella

lilybella

The drive is a SATA, XP saw the drive just fine... once Vista was installed, the drive went offline. And you were right... it wasn't "seen" any differently in USB even if connected to a Mac or another PC running XP. Chkdsk says that the device is not ready, cannot open volume for direct access.

lilybella, Feb 19, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question