Vista will not create restore backup

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by spartacus, Jun 3, 2008.

1. spartacus

spartacus

Recovery D is in red. I compressed the file and deleted what I could but it still remains red with .99MB.

There are no backup CDs. I tried to make one but got a "not enough space in D" error. However, the change backup window says that there is 153 MB available. When backing up I always get a low disc message on D.

The one restore point does not work. I get an "unknown error occurred and your files were not restored."

Are there any programs I can buy that will back up Vista? I have 424 GB of 456 GB free. Is there a way to create another drive or expand the "Recovery (D;) drive.

Thank you

Vista Home Premium, 500 GB, 3 GB memory, HP

spartacus, Jun 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. spartacus

WAW8

Opinions may vary, but I've used Acronis True Image to backup and restore several Vista machines (and XP machines) numerous times and yet to have a problem with it. It costs about $50 for the current version (v11).

If your "drive" is composed only of "C" and "D" volumes and you have no unallocated space, you would have to shrink the "C" volume to make room to grow "D". Computer Management --> Disk Management --> Shrink Volume allows you to do that, but (and it's only a personal preference here), I would rather use a third-party utility that runs outside of Windows to shrink the OS volume, than to hope that the MS-supplied tool will work. Once again, Acronis has a product (Disk Director) that does a great jop of this.

And no, I'm not a spokesperson for Acronis.

WAW8, Jun 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. spartacus

Jordus

You can download the WAIK 1.1 and create yourself a WinPE CD or UFD. Then use ImageX to create backup images of your installation.

This is a better method than sector based images such as Acronis or Ghost because you can then mount your backup image to a folder on your live machine and apply patches, hotfixes and updates, or copy files and other things into it.

You can also use Diskpart included on the disk to change around your partitions...say getting a new bigger drive and creating a partition to encompass all of it, and then putting your backed up vista install onto it.

Jordus, Jun 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question