Vista will not connect to Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Gemad, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Gemad

Gemad

I have a WEP wireless network in my house, which my laptop running XP and my Wii have connected to without issue. I bought a new PC with Vista Home Premium today, and it cannot connect to my network. It says that it has a limited connection, and I cannot use the Internet or do anything.

Strangely, it connected only once, and I was able to access Google, but since then, nothing. This is extremely frustrating, I have tried to reconfigure my network, but to no avail. I have heard that Vista has some trouble with WEP....but I can't think of any other issues. I have entered the WEP keys correctly, I have tried to repair the connection, I have tried to set up the network from Vista, but nothing works. I have even turned off my firewall, and that has done nothing

Any help would be appreciated.

Gemad, Jan 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Gemad

Jason

So I assume it connects fine when there is no security at all?

Jason, Jan 31, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Gemad

Gemad

Actually, when the security was off, it still wouldn't connect to the Internet.

The day after I posted this, it did connect to the Internet through my wireless connection, but the connection is still slow, and occasionally it will list the connection as only being local. I think my router is kind of old, but I'm not sure if that affects this.

Gemad, Feb 2, 2008
  4. Gemad

WAW8

Slow connections and network drops are being associated with "older" routers -- ones that are not compatible with IPv6. The general solution has been to upgrade the router firmware. You will have to track that down through the router manufacturer.

Also, read the "pinned" post about sharing/networking. You need to confirm that your network is set to "Private" not "Public".

WAW8, Feb 4, 2008
  5. Gemad

Gemad

Thank you for your response, I suspect you are right about the Iv6 issue, since Vista says that particular connection is local or unknown (I don't remember). I'm using a Netgear FM114p, I'll see if a new router solves the issue.

Gemad, Feb 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question