Vista Welcome Screen

Discussion in 'Security' started by donoskaro, Aug 12, 2011.

1. donoskaro

donoskaro

Hi this is my first post on Windows Vista Forums. I need to know is there something like a one time password so:username,password,one time password. I know how to get a classic login screen but was just wandering if it was possible.

donoskaro, Aug 12, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. donoskaro

WAW8

As far as I know, the answer to both is no.

As to changing the login, there are apps out there that will let you change the background image used in the login, but they don't change the basic appearance of the login screen.

WAW8, Aug 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. donoskaro

donoskaro

I know

I made the classic logon but I think there is a way of editing the registry to add additional security to my computer.:cool:

donoskaro, Aug 21, 2011
  4. donoskaro

WAW8

What do you mean by "additional security"?

The registry is not used to add functionality; instead, it is used as a database for storing system-related and application-related information.

WAW8, Aug 22, 2011
  5. donoskaro

donoskaro

Additional Security

To get extra security so people dont need other peoples password and username they need a one time password which can be used just once. And I know it as i have sean it in real life when people added strings in the registry modified some and had a nice login or something else.

donoskaro, Aug 25, 2011
  6. donoskaro

clifford_cooley

clifford_cooley, Aug 25, 2011
  7. donoskaro

WAW8

I've included the link below so you can see how involved it becomes trying to institute the one-time password scheme that you want:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc507635.aspx

In contrast, there is the concept of a Limited account -- which I regularly use for the PCs that I support for family members primarily because it prevents them from installing any software -- thus, stopping the downloading and installing of infected stuff. But this does not implement a one-time password scheme.

And yeah, I know that one-time password scheme is possible because we use it at work -- but we do this inside an Active Directory system using an Authentication server and other security. This is entirely different than trying to implement this on a stand-alone PC.

WAW8, Aug 25, 2011
  8. donoskaro

donoskaro

Ok thanks guys, maybe when I will get a decent server i might do this.

donoskaro, Aug 27, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question